Best Water Bowl for New Coop

Amy Weaver

Chirping
Aug 14, 2020
Right now, we have a small coop and run, so we use nipple waterers, but when the girls are out of the run, I provide large bowls of water and they love it. When we get our larger coop at the end of September, how do I use large bowls of water without them constantly getting dirty. As I type this, it seems like a silly question, but I want to get their food and water system right when they get their new home.

For years I used the nipples and a bucket in my coop. For the last two years, I changed to a 7 gallon chicken waterer. In the winter, I use a heater base that the waterer sits on, this turned out to be the perfect height off the ground so that the water didn't get dirty. In the non-winter months, I put the waterer on a cement stone/block for that same height. You could try something like this in your run now to play with the height.

For years I used the nipples and a bucket in my coop. For the last two years, I changed to a 7 gallon chicken waterer. In the winter, I use a heater base that the waterer sits on, this turned out to be the perfect height off the ground so that the water didn't get dirty. In the non-winter months, I put the waterer on a cement stone/block for that same height. You could try something like this in your run now to play with the height.
We live in Vermont, so a warmer will be necessary. Do you mind telling me what kind you have? I also like the non-winter months idea. Getting the right height shouldn't be too difficult. Thank you!

When we get our larger coop at the end of September, how do I use large bowls of water without them constantly getting dirty.
I wouldn't put bowls of water inside the coop.
They'll get messy quickly and splashing of water will make for wet bedding.
I use a galvanized waterer in my coops, a 2 and a 3 gallon.
They are set on a heated base in the winter. Electricity required. This model has 125 watts of power.
20200816_075647_resized.jpg

It has kept water from freezing at -1F with a 3 gallon waterer.

It's important to keep a clean contact between waterer and base. Shavings, dirt, poop and sand between base and waterer won't allow max heat transfer and water may freeze. GC

Back
Top Bottom