Best waterer and feeder

This article is great for seeing the plusses and minuses of various types of waterers.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/best-waterer-and-feeder.1439219/

I personally use a 13 gallon tote with lid, horizontal nipples, and a 250 watt stock tank deicer that is okay to use in plastic. There are only 5 chickens so I can go a long time between filling during the winter. For summer I tend to use a smaller bucket with nipples as the tote grows too much algae.

I use a regular gravity hanging chicken feeder. I use 2 that hold about 25 pounds in each one. Again, I don't have to worry about feeding them very often.

These might not work best for you. They are certainly not the types of waterer and feeder I used when I first got my chickens. It was a matter of trial and error to see what worked best for me.

In my circumstances, I am 69. I live in NW Montana and we can get a lot of snow. I set things up so if there is a lot of snow out there I only have to pay someone to feed and water the birds every week or two. I am petrified of falling in the snow and not being able to get back up so I don't go out when we have a foot or more of snow. Yes, I have a First Alert with me and a phone but still, I do not want to be laying in the snow and feeling helpless. One of the joys of getting older is figuring out ways to keep one safe.

Back
Top Bottom