Best way to add to my flock?

I too was just going to post this question, I've been trying to integrate my flock for a few days. The older hens, about 28 weeks, are like mean girls but not pecking hard or causing blood, but the newer hens about 12 weeks are not "allowed," it seems to me, to be very far from the baby coop. They have been able to see each other for quite a while now, over a month. I wonder if they are ever going to get along. The older ones are a mixed flock of barred rocks, some mutts, and 3 leghorns. The newer ones are SF and Cuckoo Marans. The Marans are doing much better but still I worry all day long about them! The big rooster I had in there had to go because he did cause some blood on the SF rooster about 2 weeks ago (not a planned outing-he managed to escape the baby pen) so just to help avoid problems I kicked him out for a while. Maybe I worry too much!

I too was just going to post this question, I've been trying to integrate my flock for a few days. The older hens, about 28 weeks, are like mean girls but not pecking hard or causing blood, but the newer hens about 12 weeks are not "allowed," it seems to me, to be very far from the baby coop. They have been able to see each other for quite a while now, over a month. I wonder if they are ever going to get along. The older ones are a mixed flock of barred rocks, some mutts, and 3 leghorns. The newer ones are SF and Cuckoo Marans. The Marans are doing much better but still I worry all day long about them! The big rooster I had in there had to go because he did cause some blood on the SF rooster about 2 weeks ago (not a planned outing-he managed to escape the baby pen) so just to help avoid problems I kicked him out for a while. Maybe I worry too much!
I think you worry a bit much too....I used to worry, but with Chickens it is all about pecking order and the sooner they are allowed to be chickens and figure it out, the sooner their will be less fighting....Like I stated, as long as no blood is shed? They really do know what to do to create harmony in their flock...

Chickens Really, you're right. I am worrying too much.
smile.png
There's been no blood or anything even close to that, but I can't help myself. I will occupy myself and not interfere unless actually necessary .... thanks!

Back
Top Bottom