best way to candle

cadman68

Songster
12 Years
Feb 15, 2007
Middle TN
I have hatched more than my share of eggs but i have never run across this before. I have some dominuqes that are mixed and they lay green eggs. The problem is i have some in the incubator on day 7 and i just finished candling them. Well i just can't see through the dang things. anyone have an idea on how or what to use to be able to see through them? I am using a small lamp with a cone on top and a 60W bulb.
hmm.png

I'm using a small LED flashlight right now, one of the really bright ones. But I have used a can light with a 75 watt spot light and a piece of cardboard with an egg shape cut out. That goes on top of the can light. It will blind you if you're not careful. I like the little flashlight better.

No expert here but I build my candler in a 12x12 cardboard box with a halagon work lite installed . I am hatching buff orp eggs and some where so dark brown I couldn't see anything. When I place the eggs over the hole in the box and turn it on you can see the hearts beating. Just be fast at looking because the lamp puts out a ton of heat.

I use a mini-Mag flashlight, it doesn't put out much heat and I darken the room as well. On bright sunny days, I have to candle the eggs in the bathroom since it doesn't have windows. I remember being so nervous the first few times because I worried about dropping the eggs--I started laying them on a towel in my lap from now on.

I use a regular size flashlight and use my hand to cup the egg, works great! Plus I like to think that holding them keeps them warmer...

Well i also have a mag light that i use but it doesn't penetrate these green eggs.

I like the idea of the halogen work light. I would love to have a projector light but they are pretty expensive. Maybe i should just try a higher wattage bulb.

Thanks for all the ideas.
smile.png

I use a surfire 6p with LED upgrade. I get though green and brown eggs no problem.

Here's a pic of the green egg on day 6 where you can see the green in the shell. Day7 should be pretty similar to that with the veins around the egg.
green%20egg%20Small%20600.jpg

Back
Top Bottom