Best way to catch the birds you want to process?

The best way to catch a chicken, duck, etc.( to treat a sick or injured or to butcher one or two) out in the yard or pen that I have found ... make yourself a "shepherd's hook" out of a heavy wire ( 10 gauge or larger , stiffer the better) about 6 feet or slightly longer, double over one end by 6 inches into a "V" shape ( take the end of the short portion of the "V" and bend over outwards the end by 1/2" to make a blunt end and then form a space of about 2" at the top end of the "V") to latch over the chickens leg and double over the other long end of the wire by about 6 inches to make a handle. Calmly walk up to within 6 ft to a chicken , reach in, and hook one leg into the "V" hook and pull the bird toward you upwards swiftly then go hand over hand over the wire to pull the bird in and then grab the bird by its legs. The rest of the birds may scatter but will not panic.

Maybe I'm just tired and this isn't sinking in...it sounds like a good plan. Do you have a picture of one of your hooks?​

Random birds, grab from roost night before. Meaties, ours are dumb. Grab whoever is by food, they will always come up to get food. Gluttony being used to my advantage. Never taken food away, works for us.

Back
Top Bottom