Best Way to Cook 3yr-old Rooster?

MamaDragon

Songster
11 Years
Aug 4, 2008
Camden, AR
Greetings All!

Rusty, our 3-year-old Buff Orp rooster, has nominated himself for freezer camp next weekend. He'll be our first Harvested Bird.... and all my chicken cooking experience is with store-bought fryers. I've never cooked a "stewing hen", or even a "broiler" chicken.

Please educate me!

So.....

What's the best way to cook him?

I've learned so far, that the carcass needs to "rest" in the fridge for 24-48 hours, then brine them another 24-48 hours, THEN freeze if not cooking him immediately thereafter.

Anyone ever made ground meat / sausage out of their chicken meat? How'd THAT turn out?

I also need the best method to brine it- whether it's in a gallon zip-bag, submersed in a gallon jug, or some other method.

Thanks!

Maybe put him in the crockpot with some celery and onions and let it tender him up. Eat as is or use meat in casseroles, soups etc.. Be sure to save the juices, cool and then place in fridge and remove any fat off top and then store in fridge/freezer to use for stock.

Here's a great recipe for taco soup. It's great for using adult roo meat that you need to cook forever (or pressure cook).

First, saute a large onion. Dump in 5 cloves minced garlic, 1-2 minced chilis, 1/2 tsp gr. cumin, oregano, 1 lb shredded chicken (or diced or whatever, I prefer shredded), 4 cups chopped fresh or canned tomatoes, 3-6 cups veggie or chicken stock (for if you like lots of juice!), 1 can corn or fresh, or frozen, 1/3 cup lime or lemon juice, cilantro to taste.

Heat it and eat it! Good for sinuses, too!!

Serve with plenty of tortilla chips.
tongue.png
tongue.png
tongue.png
tongue.png

DH and I love the stuff!!!

Last edited:
Thanks All for the recipes. I've gotten them copied and in the cookbook.

Indiana Hens - Yes, I'm sure. Rusty has to go.

He's unable to mount the hens, due to an injury, and therefore is no longer able to "do his duty". He's also extremely mean to our original hens, with pecking, pulling feathers of the hens, trying to stop them from eating anytime he catches them, and running them out of the coop until I lock him up at night, thus ending the struggle.

We got Rusty, and 4 BO hens three weeks ago, so they're all "new kids in the coop". The other two roos, I've had for two weeks, after trading off my original EE roo.

He attempts to stop the other two roos from mounting the hens, and since I want to be able to hatch out more BOs this spring, that's not going to work. If Rusty was able to mount and perform, it would be different. We'd adjust and adapt with the other issues.

But rest easy, I have another BO roo, about 10 months old, as well as a RIR roo, also about 10 months old. The RIR manages to "do his duty" to the RIR/NHR hens, despite Rusty's efforts to stop him, and I'm sure that the younger BO roo will gladly step in as well, once the senior is gone.

Rusty appreciates your efforts on his behalf, I'm sure.

Kathy

Last edited:
The neighbor makes Koko Van with wine. The spelling may be wrong. I'm pretty sure it is not a folk recipe;she's greek. I thought she said it was French. She only wants old roosters. I sure hate that a Buff has to be the one; why don't you use a Turken or Houdan?

Back
Top Bottom