Best way to do nesting boxes

SoldierSailor

In the Brooder
Jun 10, 2015
Oceanside CA
Our 12 youngsters are not so young anymore and we want to get the nesting boxes up
But are not sure how many boxes to make or where to place them.

Pairs of White leghorn, Andalusians. Rhode Island Red, hamburgs, light brahma and white Silkie

Is 4 boxes enough?

We have roosting bar across the back of the coop

How high should we put the boxes?

The door swings open like a barn door
And we're considering mounting the boxes there
To make the eggs easy to reach

As always advice and experiences are appreciated

Four nests for twelve birds is more than enough. I'd only use three for up to fifteen birds but maybe your planning ahead.

I really like external nesting boxes. They provide more space in coop and make gathering easy. Simple to make. Make a box that ends are 14 inches wide and top slopes from 14 to 12 inches. So you've got one long side, two sloped ends and a bottom. I use 2x2's for frame/nailer. Note you don't need to build an entire frame just have nailers for corners. Cut 10x10 inch holes in coop wall, one for each nest. Mount box, put in divider for each nest. Make nest 12-14 inches wide. Put top on with hinges attached to coop wall. Tada!

I'd cut the holes about four inches off the bedding height in coop. I prefer hay or straw for nests, it mats down well and holds shape. When dirty turn the nest over and I've even turned back over for longer use before tossing in compost.

I found an old pic of one of my first coop builds:

900x900px-LL-6aacc771_1555633159LL.jpeg

Last edited:
I started with the quick, interim solution of kitty litter boxes, but ended up sticking with them.

Plus, I have one very large black nursery pot like small trees come in, which I blocked up on each side so it can't rotate.

Benefits of moveable nests:

- Easy to remove to completely clean and sterilize
- Easy to move around, if you rotate your flock to different pens or tractor
- Easy to adjust height for different birds
- Easy to add or remove as your flock size changes / flexibility to reorganize coop
- And last but not least, super easy to lift the black snake out of the chicken house when he's curled up in a kitty litter box.

My hens seem to really love them.

I do have to weight them down with a rock, and they could get pricey if you needed a lot.

Last edited:
Nests should be lower than roosts...or they will roost in nests and poop in them making for dirty eggs.

Not sure the nests should be mounted in a swing door, a lot of weight on door hinges...but it might work.

I love mine but coop wall is inside of a large shed.

Back
Top Bottom