Best way to integrate two established flocks

Heaven 11

In the Brooder
Mar 18, 2021
I have two chicken tractors. One has a rooster, two hens and four 5-week-old chicks. The other one has a rooster and four hens. The tractors are in my pasture and have no overhead cover. They have never been allowed to free range because they are so exposed.

I am going to move them to an area that has plenty of overhead tree cover so they can free range. I plan to put electric around the tractors and turn it on when they go in their coops, which have doors that will be closed and then close the tractor doors for maximum protection against predators.

A7FC1D79-45F6-412C-A670-E8446B525DE0.jpeg
9A55C564-729D-4F9C-9E35-8A7C99835C37.jpeg
My concern is that I have two one year old roosters and two separate flocks that range in age from two years to five weeks (I have a plan to rehome any of the chicks that are cockerels as soon as it is apparent). How do I integrate them so they can all free range during the day together without any serious injuries? No injuries would be ideal.

Well they don't call it cockfighting for nothing. Now it can go one of three ways. They all get along, (highly unlikely). The roosters fight, work it out, and then they all get along, not real likely, but maybe. Or they fight, rest, fight until one is dead, a real possibility.

And roosters have no understanding of sharing hens, or these are my hens, those are yours. Rather, they tend to think I should have all the hens. Some roosters will live almost as an outcast on the edge of the flock, some won't.

If you have the electric fence - that can keep them confined, which can lead to more fighting.

Have you considered letting them out on different days? Or culling one of the roosters.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom