Best way to introduce new chicks

Esquire32

In the Brooder
Jun 14, 2021
I currently have 8 Rhode Island Reds that are approximately 8 weeks old that have been moved into my coop. My wife also picked up a mix of 15 Sapphire Gems and Easter Eggers this past weekend at Tractor Supply. The new chicks obviously will not be able to go to the coop for a number of weeks, but I was wondering if, when the time comes, whether they will be close enough in age to just put them into the coop or if there is a specific way I should go about introducing them. Coop/run is probably close to 600 square feet total pretty evenly divided between coop and run as I converted a shed into the coop.

below is a picture of the coop during construction.

B9752D7D-992A-4C76-AE97-138B1F3B07CC.jpeg

If I have the count right -23 birds.. or 23 younger birds. Are there older birds? How many?
You will need a fair amount of space for that.

I would add a lot more clutter to your run. A pallet just up off the ground a little bit can let smaller birds escape. Multiple feed bowl, but placed where they are out of sight of a bird eating at another feed bowl.

Personally, I like my chicks to go in to the coop at 3-4 weeks. Small enough that they can escape quickly into places where bigger birds cannot chase them.

And really the more you add all at once, if you have a lot of hide outs, the better it will go.
More space is always better.

Mrs K

Unfortunately there is no power to the coop. There is an outlet on the back of the garage that an extension cord could be run from but I worry about running a heat lamp for hours on end from an extension cord.

also a fan of heat plates.

I like a "see and be seen" process beginning around 3-4 weeks (basically, as soon as I need the brooder box for the latest incubation's hatches) which continues for a couple weeks. Adjust based on behaviors of new birds and old.

Looks like you have the space for it, and could easily partition off some area for the new birds, as a temporary measure or not (how often do you plan to add birds?)

and yes, regardless of what you decide, your run could benefit from more clutter.

You really do not need power - what you need is insulation. If you create a thick insulated top, and a well insulated bottom, that chicks can crawl into, they will produce enough heat to do just fine. Really what the broody hen provides is insulation and wind protection to capture the chicks heat.

I have had very good success with a "wooly hen". I originally created a thick wool pompoms, and glued them to a cat litter box that I had cut in half. I did have a chick get tangled in the yarn, so I cover the whole thing with an old dish towel. It is thick, and it is not too tall, and they sleep well under it. I think you could use styrofoam, if you covered it completely so that the chicks could not eat it.

I put it in my brooder, turn off the heat lamp, make it dark and stick them under there. Almost instantly, it is quiet. I brood in my garage - and in the early spring, it can get chilly in there. They do fine.

And then using this - I can move to my coop without electricity.

Mrs K

You really do not need power - what you need is insulation. If you create a thick insulated top, and a well insulated bottom, that chicks can crawl into, they will produce enough heat to do just fine. Really what the broody hen provides is insulation and wind protection to capture the chicks heat.

I have had very good success with a "wooly hen". I originally created a thick wool pompoms, and glued them to a cat litter box that I had cut in half. I did have a chick get tangled in the yarn, so I cover the whole thing with an old dish towel. It is thick, and it is not too tall, and they sleep well under it.

I put it in my brooder, turn off the heat lamp, make it dark and stick them under there. Almost instantly, it is quiet. I brood in my garage - and in the early spring, it can get chilly in there. They do fine.

And then using this - I can move to my coop without electricity.

Mrs K
Me too, using this link for inspiration (I made mine in 20 mins as a temporary measure during an power cut) - http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1133855/a-wool-hen-creating-one-today

less than perfect, but it worked…

E946E9E9-16DF-4F7F-AECE-BAB8E869B189.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom