Best way to kill cats? *Yeah I think the cats could have done it*

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by furbabymum, Sep 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  2. Angelicisi

Angelicisi Crowing

Mar 26, 2013
    Baton Rouge area
    My Coop
    Dont poison. Because you have other creatures around I'd shoot before poison. Too much can go wrong with getting poison to proper creature-possible to have creature get to water and live injured or contaminate water with any residual or even end up killing one of your own dogs on accident and its a painful way to go. Just shoot the intruder and bury it.

3. chooks4life

chooks4life Crowing

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Quote: What species of possum are you referring to? From what I know, from 5 years anywhere up to 15 is normal for most species, depending on environment. Not even mice and rats have such a short lifespan.

4. animals1981

animals1981 Songster

Jul 19, 2008
    Toronto
    My Coop
    Cats are not doing this.

5. chooks4life

chooks4life Crowing

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Quote: There is no proof they aren't, but definite possibility (and it increasingly looks like probability) that they are.

It's a distressing topic for many but control of feral cats is an unavoidable issue. The forum rules for pest control related threads specify that you leave the thread alone if it upsets you. I like cats, and all my pet cats are ex-ferals, but I participated directly in trapping and assisting in the destruction of many ferals because they were suffering badly yet still breeding out of control, left to their own devices. It's unfortunate but must be done.

6. marilyn1954

marilyn1954 Chirping

Sep 14, 2013
    Small town America
    Maybe laws are different depending on what state your in we had chickens about 10years ago, around 50, chicks and hens, we came driving up from work an there were dead chickens everywhere, we then saw our neighbors lab come running out of the barn, and throwing one from his mouth. We called the police which called the game warden, who came out and told us we could kill any cat or dog we found who even LOOKED like they were going to attack our livestock, and we would not be in any violation in the state of Missouri

7. Angelicisi

Angelicisi Crowing

Mar 26, 2013
    Baton Rouge area
    My Coop
    Protection of livestock is 1st here too, no matter the predator except permits must be obtained for birds of prey and hunting licenses required to kill with gun or arrows.

8. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Crowing

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Well, hopefully this thread will be shut down soon. If people don't have anything constructive to communicate, keep your hands off the keyboard.

9. Well, it seems the OP has gotten a lot of advice on how to move forward with the issue. It certainly looks as if the meaningful advice has been exhausted. We'll bring down the curtain now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: