Best way to mate silkie hens?

Bryam

Songster
11 Years
Aug 19, 2008
So I have 3 silkie hens that have been laying eggs for several weeks, maybe 5 weeks. My friend has a mature roaster who is 12 months old and has just started laying. Is it better for me to bring my girls to him, or can I bring him over to their home for a few weeks? I am hesitant to move my girls, as I don't want to stop them from laying, on the other hand if I move the roaster will be in shock and not mate the hens?

Please help!

Thanks!

So I have 3 silkie hens that have been laying eggs for several weeks, maybe 5 weeks. My friend has a mature roaster who is 12 months old and has just started laying. Is it better for me to bring my girls to him, or can I bring him over to their home for a few weeks? I am hesitant to move my girls, as I don't want to stop them from laying, on the other hand if I move the roaster will be in shock and not mate the hens?

Please help!

Thanks!

Maybe you can clarify the bolded bit? If the bird just started laying how is it a rooster that is going to mate with your hens?
Mixing flocks is not a good idea - especially at the moment when, on top of all the usual disease concerns, you also have avian flu to be concerned with. If any mixing is going to be done, a 30 day quarantine of the bird that moves should take place at BOTH ends of the move - to assure that no symptoms start to show that would indicate infectious disease is present before the groups mix. This will protect your friend and their flock as well as you and your flock.

Um, I have only 3 Silkie hens and the roaster she has I gave her several months ago. She also has 2 hens and the boy. So I think if there was a disease they would have it already no? Since they originate from the same place?

Is it better for me to bring my girls to him, or can I bring him over to their home for a few weeks? I am hesitant to move my girls, as I don't want to stop them from laying, on the other hand if I move the roaster will be in shock and not mate the hens?

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Um, I have only 3 Silkie hens and the roaster she has I gave her several months ago. She also has 2 hens and the boy. So I think if there was a disease they would have it already no? Since they originate from the same place?

Is it better for me to bring my girls to him, or can I bring him over to their home for a few weeks? I am hesitant to move my girls, as I don't want to stop them from laying, on the other hand if I move the roaster will be in shock and not mate the hens?

Thanks!!

They are not currently living in the same place - the moment those birds left your property to go to hers they were exposed to all new sorts of things, and continue to be exposed to different possible sorts of infection than your birds and vice versa. You also have the issue of having to go through the integration process at both ends of the whole deal.

Last edited:
Okay, aside from the disease points....

Thanks!

Last edited:
To answer the question - if you are going to do this it would be easiest, imo, to move the rooster - this would require moving only one bird and reduces the number of birds who will have to go through integration.
How are you planning to hatch the eggs you get - do you have an incubator?
You could also just wait and get hatching eggs from your friend's flock since once things are in full swing at her end she'll have fertilized eggs.

Yes, I have incubated several batches of eggs. She has buff silkies I have a black hen, so I want breed her to my friends male. I don't want to keep a roaster at my house any more they are too much! Noisy and a general pain in the butt!

How long will it take for him to adjust to his new environment and start mating with my girls?

Thanks for answering my questions!!:)

Back
Top Bottom