best way to put a chick out of its miserey?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your thread was titled asking how to put a chick out of it's misery, not how to treat a crippled chick.

I hope your other chicks do well.

Attachments

• IMG_20210505_115438.jpg
    IMG_20210505_115438.jpg
    362.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20210505_115231.jpg
    IMG_20210505_115231.jpg
    288.5 KB · Views: 23
I got that too. I grew up on a farm and know I'm heartless. It wasn't nothing for me to go out with a hatchet when I was 8 and kill a chicken for my granny. I've helped butcher cows I helped bottle feed. Just too much disconnect today with people and doing the correct things vs what makes them feel good.
Omg couldn't have put it better myself. They are livestock, so I look at it that way. Vets consider chickens as disposable and won't even look at them normally.

Last edited by a moderator:
I cant man i just cant! im trying to feed it and i even asked my parents and my grandparents to just end its misery.. but they denied.... i just cannot do it... you dont understand... ive never hurt an ant in my whole life.. how do you expect me to hold my fluffy friend and chop its head off!?!?!??!?!
I know this is so hard for you, and I am sorry that some of the folks here seem cruel in their replies to you, as scolding or trying to shame you really is not the best way to help right now. Do you have a local group like NextDoor? Maybe you can find someone that way to help. Is there a local 4-h club? A local farm? Also, are you sure the chick cannot eat? Have you tried using a dropper to get water and a wee bit of softened food into the chick? Then, after you help your little one through this, which we all hope you will be able to do, then you can take the time to think about how you might approach this next time. Sending support - if you love the chick and want no harm, then know that doing the unthinkable (for you) may be the kindest thing you can do.

Take it to a vet and let them do it humanely!!!

I know this is so hard for you, and I am sorry that some of the folks here seem cruel in their replies to you, as scolding or trying to shame you really is not the best way to help right now. Do you have a local group like NextDoor? Maybe you can find someone that way to help. Is there a local 4-h club? A local farm? Also, are you sure the chick cannot eat? Have you tried using a dropper to get water and a wee bit of softened food into the chick? Then, after you help your little one through this, which we all hope you will be able to do, then you can take the time to think about how you might approach this next time. Sending support - if you love the chick and want no harm, then know that doing the unthinkable (for you) may be the kindest thing you can do.
The chick was put out of it's misery over a week ago.

I know this is an old thread but I really have to debunk this before someone else sees it and thinks this is okay.

It's a myth that the freezer 'puts them to sleep'.
They stay alive the entire time, freezing slowly (sometimes for hours) until they run out of air. Then they suffocate, sometimes taking another half hour. It is a horrible, horrible way to die and I would never put anything through this.

They do not pass peacefully and the freezer method is 100% cruel and inhumane. Please, please never use this.
Thank you for posting this. My heart dropped as I read that. I wish the moderators could edit the post stating that this is strongly advised against

hi i have a baby chick who has a balance problem... her legs are weird and she cannot stand at all.... ive not slept for a day trying to get this chick to eat something but nothing worked.... my heart is aching.... ive searched a painless way to kill a baby chick and it was cutting their head.... i really cannot do that..... like forreal i will get a panic attack and probably a heart attack too if i ever kill a baby chick... is it okay if i leave her next to me and blow warm air on her until the day she dies of hunger? please help me
Sounds to me like she has an equilibrium issue and Splay Leg. First try feeding her canned cat food...high in protein and liquid. Equilibrium can be treated by putting her inside a child's sock with its head sticking out. Keep her that way for a day or to to allow her to stabilize. Finally, treat her for Splay Leg by creating a hobble from a bandaid cut lengthwise and taped to her ankles so her legs are about an inch apart. None of these issues is necessarily reason to put her down.....just deal with the feeding part first. You might also get her to drink a little of electrolyte solution (available at and feed store) or make it yourself. Everyone of these issues is available on YouTube.com. Just type in the problem in Search and view the video..... Good Luck, and recognize that only God creates life, but your are one of his favorite helpers. No matter how much you care, no matter how hard you try, no matter how careful you are, some things are beyond our ability!
Hope this helps,
Jim

Well,

I know this thread is old, and it sounds like the OP had to learn one of the hardest lessons in life. I grew up on a large cattle farm so I learned that lesson early. We harvest several dozen hens a year for the freezer, our own hogs, cows etc. Death is a natural part of life. It sucks, but sometimes it’s the best way.

Now as an adult, I have a masters in Organic Chemistry and I can say the Ether method linked above is a good way. Using isopropyl alcohol would be another way. Helium and carbon dioxide would work as well.

hi i have a baby chick who has a balance problem... her legs are weird and she cannot stand at all.... ive not slept for a day trying to get this chick to eat something but nothing worked.... my heart is aching.... ive searched a painless way to kill a baby chick and it was cutting their head.... i really cannot do that..... like forreal i will get a panic attack and probably a heart attack too if i ever kill a baby chick... is it okay if i leave her next to me and blow warm air on her until the day she dies of hunger? please help me
Follow your heart. You won’t want to live with killing it yourself. Starving or dehydration is not as painful! Studies show it’s actually euphoric in the end. Look up studies on starving. You don’t want to live with the memory of killing the chick. There’s nothing wrong with you. You’re the perfect person to be raising animals because you have a heart, conscience, and compassion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom