Best Way to Rehome a Rooster?

Juise

Songster
8 Years
Mar 4, 2011
If even remotely possible we would like it to be not for eating. We really like him and he's so sweet... given, he's only just over 3 months old. I tried my very best to feel indifferent toward him because I knew we couldn't keep a roo. I planned on putting up an add on Craigslist asking for a home where they were not planning to chop his head off for dinner.

It's really time to be finding him a new home, and I went to put up the post and got so totally, ridiculously choked up. I'm sure there are plenty of people who would happily BS that they are not planning to kill him and then do so.
hit.gif
Any better suggestions, or am I just totally screwed here?
hmm.png

Instead of putting him in the farm section on craigslist you could try posting him in pets? No one looking for butchering roosters are going to be looking there.

You can advertise him with the "no eating him" stipulation, but as you said, you have no way of knowing. Once he leaves your place, it's out of your hands. So, when he does leave, shed some tears if you need to, wipe your nose and enjoy the birds you still have. It's hard to get rid of something you've grown attached to, but as time goes by it gets a little easier.

I did craigs and had to cancel due to illnesses.Will post him again when all is well. You can only hope for the best. If it were dinner hopefully it will be fast death.Better that than cock fighting or dog fight training. I got a lot of responses from people who have broody hens,and wanted a roo to get things fertile.

I have friends that surf craigslist for free roosters to eat. I usually won't turn down a free ready-to-eat live rooster. Skinning one only takes a few minutes, and after three days or so of brining in the refrigerator, they are perfect for the crockpot.

You know, I'm a vegetarian and don't even think about eating chickens myself. But when I had a couple of extra roos I put them on craigslist for free and I found the thought that someone was going to eat them...okay. I was petrified they would be used for fighting, but a quick death and then supper for a family that didn't know/love them like I did was strangely okay. The lady who ended up taking them said she just wanted to keep them to occasionally pluck feathers for her "crafts", LOL, but I imagine they went to freezer camp.

Now my girls...that's another story. When a hen who has layed for me all her productive life finally quits laying, I can't imagine giving her up and I think I will end up running a chicken retirement home.

Yeah, aside from sentimentality, we are vegan who will start eating our hen's eggs when they start laying. So there is definitely some moral unease about knowing I'm giving him up to be killed. That means I have purposefully raised a meat chicken. I'm not really feeling okay with that. I would like to do the best I can for him.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom