Best way to store feed that's short

MomMommyMamma

Songster
9 Years
Jun 13, 2010
West Virginia
Lol - funny title huh. We found the lid off of the Rubbermaid tote we've been using to store feed in this morning. My first thought was to get a garbage can and bungee the lid, but my sons do most of the feeding of the chickens and they would not be able to reach the feed once it was below about 1/2 way down. I've tried to bungee the tote lid but it's a real challenge. Any good suggestions?
Thanks!

I'm partial to using galvanized cans for feed storage. They come in several sizes.
smile.png

Find the bottom to the tote lid. That's what I use, blue plastic totes about 1.5x1.5x2.5. One for feed and other for scratch. So far nothings eatten a hole in them as the chickens leave plenty of pickings for varmits around the yard. Anyone notice that chickens will peck in compost and dirt but wont eat feed if it hits the ground? What's up with that?

7&8 :

I'm partial to using galvanized cans for feed storage. They come in several sizes.
smile.png

That's what I have ended up using, they are so much easier.​

everyone around here uses old non working deep freezers, I got mine at the recycle depot, I disinfected it and dried the inside and I store all my feed in it. and I can use the top as a table top to inspect chickens if need be.

Quote:
Interesting. No smell? I don't think I will use one because I'd be too worried about my little ones (kids) getting into it, but it's a neat idea!

Quote:
Interesting. No smell? I don't think I will use one because I'd be too worried about my little ones (kids) getting into it, but it's a neat idea!

no smell what so ever...well except the smell of the feed in it. mine is in the barn and my kids climb on top of it to get a better look at the chickens lol....never had an issue with them trying to climb on the inside, but then again they are fully aware that they are not to go in there cause my biggest dog likes sunflower seeds and well he will knock you out of the way to get at them, so they certainly do not temp him. lol...but yes, all the farmers use those cause they are big and they store their oats and other feeds in them. I keep my feed all in there, but still in the bags. I got some buggers (chipmunks) in the barn and I quickly learned not to leave a bag laying about...lol..

Back
Top Bottom