Best way to treat Red Mites? Horribly Neglected Rooster

Bleenie

Wyan-DO's
10 Years
Jul 14, 2009
The Beautiful Pacific NW ,WA
I recently got a new rooster, I wasn't able to pick him up myself so my sister went and got him for me. when I got home to check him out I discovered he was severely infested with Red Mites. Ive only ever dealt with poultry Lice and have always used Ivomec topically to treat & prevent them(has worked wonderfully). I assumed it would work for the mites as well so he got dosed. Before that he received an extremely thorough scrubbing to remove all the dry blood and debris, took me an hour and a half to get it all off
somad.gif

I checked on him this morning and he looks to be feeling better although still pretty much slow moving and quiet, but alert. I touched him all over and didnt get any mites on my hands but didn't want to bug him too much so didn't flip him over or anything. He is also still having some foul smelling, watery poo so he's getting started on antibiotics today just in case.

Saying hes in poor condition is really an understatement. I just hope he recovers and thrives as much as possible here.

BEFORE pics: feeling so crappy he just wanted to bury his head in my arm and sleep :(

AFTER Pics: first two were when he was getting blow dried. poor guy was leaning against the back of the chair and falling asleep more than half the time.

Settled in for quarantine

Poor guy, sounds like he's in rough shape. I would repeat the treatment, or dust him with poultry dust, in 7 - 10 days to get anything that hatches in the meantime. It may take several treatments. I'd also deworm him with Valbazen or Safeguard. What's up with the bottoms of his feet?

There is, I have never seen anything like it. His feet are going to be cleaned and bandaged today. Previous owner insisted she gave him a penicillin shot for it but she also said she treated his mites last week and other things. Anyone knows bumbles has to be cleaned out anyway. smh

Oh poor guy!!

He is in good hands there with you. Sounds like you have all the bases covered.

Definitely retreat for mites/lice every 7 days as cafarmgirl said or they just hatch out again. I have learned my lesson too about worming new adult chickens. Make sure you repeat the worming too to break the life cycle.

I recently got a new rooster, I wasn't able to pick him up myself so my sister went and got him for me. when I got home to check him out I discovered he was severely infested with Red Mites. Ive only ever dealt with poultry Lice and have always used Ivomec topically to treat & prevent them(has worked wonderfully). I assumed it would work for the mites as well so he got dosed. Before that he received an extremely thorough scrubbing to remove all the dry blood and debris, took me an hour and a half to get it all off
somad.gif

I checked on him this morning and he looks to be feeling better although still pretty much slow moving and quiet, but alert. I touched him all over and didnt get any mites on my hands but didn't want to bug him too much so didn't flip him over or anything. He is also still having some foul smelling, watery poo so he's getting started on antibiotics today just in case.

Saying hes in poor condition is really an understatement. I just hope he recovers and thrives as much as possible here.

BEFORE pics: feeling so crappy he just wanted to bury his head in my arm and sleep :(

AFTER Pics: first two were when he was getting blow dried. poor guy was leaning against the back of the chair and falling asleep more than half the time.

Settled in for quarantine

That is so sad! I saw your post on the local thread and I sent you a PM. The lady you bought that rooster from is a seller and frequenter on BYC. As I said in my post on the other thread, I, too have had 2 birds I purchased from her suffer only to have to be culled. Good luck with him. He's obviously in much better hands now. :)

Back
Top Bottom