Best way to work in grit

seafood

Songster
11 Years
Feb 12, 2008
How do you give grit to chicks?

Put it in a seperate bowl? Mix in with food? Spread around through pine shavings and let them search for it?

Rookie here looking for help.

I put mine in a bowl and they knocked it over and spread it around! So now I save them the hassle and just sprinkle it in the pine shavings. They do find it.
smile.png

My chicks are two weeks old. At 6 days they went outside for the first time and so I gave them grit for the first time. I just sprinkled it on the ground where they were pecking around. I figured they would eat some while eatting whatever else they found out there.
Yesterday, they finally ate a treat for the first time. Yogurt mixed with chick starter. I put it on one of DD's baby divided plates. I put grit over in the smallest section of the plate and they ate the grit that way too. I suppose what I'm trying to say is so far I think they will get the grit if they want it no matter how you offer it to them. I'm just offering it in different ways depending on the situation. I look forward to hearing what the experienced people say is best.

Back
Top Bottom