1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Best way to work in grit

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by seafood, Apr 4, 2008.

1. seafood

seafood Songster

Feb 12, 2008
    How do you give grit to chicks?

Put it in a seperate bowl? Mix in with food? Spread around through pine shavings and let them search for it?

Rookie here looking for help.

2. chickenbike

chickenbike Songster

I just read in a chicken guide last night that you can leave a small bowl of it in the coop. ??

Last edited: Apr 4, 2008
  3. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    I put mine in a bowl and they knocked it over and spread it around! So now I save them the hassle and just sprinkle it in the pine shavings. They do find it.[​IMG]

4. Texas Fluffy Feet

Texas Fluffy Feet Songster

Feb 20, 2008
    Arlington, TX
    My chicks are two weeks old. At 6 days they went outside for the first time and so I gave them grit for the first time. I just sprinkled it on the ground where they were pecking around. I figured they would eat some while eatting whatever else they found out there.
    Yesterday, they finally ate a treat for the first time. Yogurt mixed with chick starter. I put it on one of DD's baby divided plates. I put grit over in the smallest section of the plate and they ate the grit that way too. I suppose what I'm trying to say is so far I think they will get the grit if they want it no matter how you offer it to them. I'm just offering it in different ways depending on the situation. I look forward to hearing what the experienced people say is best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by