Best ways to distinguish who is laying what

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Miss M13, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Miss M13

Miss M13 New Egg

Oct 2, 2016
    I have 13 RIR and some are laying fishy eggs. They just started laying and are producing more than we can use I need to start selling but can't until I get to the bottom of the fish problem. What is your best ideas for determining who is laying what.

2. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello and welcome to Backyard chickens. Hmmmm. You can tell if a hen is laying by looking at her vent, a layer will have a large, and moist vent, while a non layer will have a small dry one. Also, look at their combs, a layer will have a plump and red comb, non layer will have a paler comb, and not so pretty looking. Now as for the taste, you are probably feeding them something that is making their eggs taste off. Do you feed them kitchen scraps? Or do they free range the yard? Also, post your question on this page:https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/18/chicken-behaviors-and-egglaying Good luck with your problem and I hope you enjoy BYC

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  3. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

Easiest and most accurate way is to cage off each hen one at a time. That's how I caught my egg eater out of a flock of 70 hens.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to NYC - thanks for joining us. Never tried it, but I did read that a member has used food colouring around the vent of chickens - a little of the food colouring can be found on an egg. Dunno if it works, just sharing.

Re: fishiness - this is most likely due to the feed. Here in Kenya, some people feed dried fish as a supplement, and it does impart the kind of flavour you describe. Maybe look for an alternative feed.

Best wishes
    CT

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Thank you for joining us at Backyard chickens. Some folks say to use lipstick ( different shades) for each hen, which will come off on the egg as it is pushed out. Then you can match the hen to the egg. Of course dump the lipstick(s) after use [​IMG]

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings and :welcome. Great to have you with us! Fishy eggs? Never heard of such a thing. As was suggested, maybe a change in feed. Best wishes! :)

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by