Best ways to distinguish who is laying what

Miss M13

Hatching
Oct 2, 2016
I have 13 RIR and some are laying fishy eggs. They just started laying and are producing more than we can use I need to start selling but can't until I get to the bottom of the fish problem. What is your best ideas for determining who is laying what.

Hello and welcome to Backyard chickens. Hmmmm. You can tell if a hen is laying by looking at her vent, a layer will have a large, and moist vent, while a non layer will have a small dry one. Also, look at their combs, a layer will have a plump and red comb, non layer will have a paler comb, and not so pretty looking. Now as for the taste, you are probably feeding them something that is making their eggs taste off. Do you feed them kitchen scraps? Or do they free range the yard? Also, post your question on this page:https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/18/chicken-behaviors-and-egglaying Good luck with your problem and I hope you enjoy BYC

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to NYC - thanks for joining us. Never tried it, but I did read that a member has used food colouring around the vent of chickens - a little of the food colouring can be found on an egg. Dunno if it works, just sharing.

Re: fishiness - this is most likely due to the feed. Here in Kenya, some people feed dried fish as a supplement, and it does impart the kind of flavour you describe. Maybe look for an alternative feed.

Best wishes
CT

Thank you for joining us at Backyard chickens. Some folks say to use lipstick ( different shades) for each hen, which will come off on the egg as it is pushed out. Then you can match the hen to the egg. Of course dump the lipstick(s) after use
sickbyc.gif

Back
Top Bottom