Dog thread!🐾

Fanta is going to be 2 years old in 2weeks 😭 they age so suddenly!
They do! Honestly earlier in the year I thought she was going to turn one, then I check her birthdate. I have no idea where the extra year came from! :th
Misty turns 11 in 2 weeks and that's just plain crazy 🥲

1715421924380.png

This is our Staffordshire Bull Terrier, he will be 2 in June. His name is Botanica's Elderberry Jam. He's out of a sporting dam (Obedience, Agility and tricks) and a show champion stud, but he's his mother's son. Definitely not a show prospect, very highly driven, a handful, but a lovely boy. He is very cuddly, I just have to be always alert so that he doesn't headbutt me accidentally, breaking my nose.

I owned a working bred Malinois before him and thought that I was ready for anything. Not at all. Jam made me sweat (and swear) a lot while he was growing, and taught me a lot, first of all lots of Zen.

Does anyone have tips for recall? Willow will do it great in the house, but once we add I'm even minimal distractions it's like she doesn't even know what it means. It's frustrating, I'm trying to be patient but we've been working at it for months. I have an e collar, honestly she doesn't seem to care much. I might end up getting professional help soon if we can't get her to do this
Hide & Seek is a good way as they see us in the same way they see prey - as exciting. Start in the house, use all rooms and stick to a 5 minute game, always ending with the dog wanting more, more, more!

Step 1) as soon as your dog isn't looking at you, run from the room calling their name once. Use a tug toy or fleece rope with tassles as incentive for the dog to chase. Keeping this toy as a reward only will give you greater value (in the dog's eyes) if the dog only sees and plays with this toy during these games. Try to play the game a few times a day inside the house. In the meantime always keep the dog on lead while outside at this stage, so they don't keep rehearsing the unwanted behaviour of running off. Hide behind cupbaords, lounges, doors, curtains etc throughout the day, that's if your dog is not watching you like a hawk already! I used to hide after throwing a ball for my dog and she still loves it when I hide from her. Always call the dog's name once when they are returning to you, not running from you - your voice is their reward. Clap and make a big fuss at this stage to celebrate their success (and your own) lol.

With your tug or rope tucked under your arm, walk your dog in parts of your yard where you can readily hide. Simply be walking along, then quickly whip out your toy, call the dog's name and dash behind a tree or bin or bush etc, or just run like mad laughing and carrying on like a child until your dog catches you. Suddenly, all that other stuff in the wider immediate environment has no value against the excitement you provide.

View attachment 3828320

This is our Staffordshire Bull Terrier, he will be 2 in June. His name is Botanica's Elderberry Jam. He's out of a sporting dam (Obedience, Agility and tricks) and a show champion stud, but he's his mother's son. Definitely not a show prospect, very highly driven, a handful, but a lovely boy. He is very cuddly, I just have to be always alert so that he doesn't headbutt me accidentally, breaking my nose.

I owned a working bred Malinois before him and thought that I was ready for anything. Not at all. Jam made me sweat (and swear) a lot while he was growing, and taught me a lot, first of all lots of Zen.
He’s beautiful!!!!

I haven't read anything.
Doesn't seem to have spread form instagram or TikTok yet. What's happened is one of the dog trainers who is very well known for abusing and neglecting dogs (he is banned from multiple countries!) but sadly has a lot of followers on social media, made a paid partnership video with impact kennels.

Impact kennels is a brand that makes crates (surprising🤣) who has worked with a lot of content craters, they have not said anything about this partnership even though they have had a lot of backlash. People have even (people they have worked with too) tried messaging them to ask whether they did actually partner with the dog abuser but impact just sent them a very automated message back that doesn't answer the questions at all

I don't know if this is true but some people are saying that impact is deleting comments and had reposted the dog abusers video in their stories on instagram, they then deleted it later

What makes this all make sense is somebody found a clip from Impact's podcast (?) where they said why the started selling crates. Which turned out to be that there father bought companies (I think thats correct), one was a dog crate company, so the decided to improve the crates while not doing any market research (pretty sure they even said that themselves) and I don't think they even own a dog

Doesn't seem to have spread form instagram or TikTok yet. What's happened is one of the dog trainers who is very well known for abusing and neglecting dogs (he is banned from multiple countries!) but sadly has a lot of followers on social media, made a paid partnership video with impact kennels.

Impact kennels is a brand that makes crates (surprising🤣) who has worked with a lot of content craters, they have not said anything about this partnership even though they have had a lot of backlash. People have even (people they have worked with too) tried messaging them to ask whether they did actually partner with the dog abuser but impact just sent them a very automated message back that doesn't answer the questions at all

I don't know if this is true but some people are saying that impact is deleting comments and had reposted the dog abusers video in their stories on instagram, they then deleted it later

What makes this all make sense is somebody found a clip from Impact's podcast (?) where they said why the started selling crates. Which turned out to be that there father bought companies (I think thats correct), one was a dog crate company, so the decided to improve the crates while not doing any market research (pretty sure they even said that themselves) and I don't think they even own a dog
Dog abuse of any kind makes me sad. There's so much out there. I personally don't like a lot of "training" techniques. I raise and treat my dogs like they are young children as far as learning. Repetition, and reward goes a lot further than any correction type training.

Back
Top Bottom