Best ways to keep your chickens cool during the summer?

chicksavy4

In the Brooder
Jun 22, 2015
Its very hot here and my chickens are panting and spreading their wings. What do you do to keep them cool during the hot months?

I've been filling bowls of ice in the run. The chicks lay next to them and drink the water as it melts and stand in them. It's been 115-120 here in the Phoenix area so I try to spray their run down as much as possible.

grab some cupcake tins, put the cupcake paper in then fill them 3/4 of the way with canned corn. Add water, then freeze. A fun frozen treat! My guys go nuts over it
1f60a.png

grab some cupcake tins, put the cupcake paper in then fill them 3/4 of the way with canned corn. Add water, then freeze. A fun frozen treat! My guys go nuts over it
1f60a.png

Or also you can fill the cupcake tins with frozen blueberries or mixed berries, add a little water and give them those.

Mine like a shallow tub with water and a few bricks in it. They like drinking from it during the day. You can throw ice cubes in this too.

I set up a mister in their run; after their initial fear over the new 'monster', they don't mind it and graze within range of it.
Hosing down the run really helps lower temps, IF your area isn't too humid. Not sure it would help as much if your humidity is high.

If there isn't any wind, set up a box fan outside the run, blowing in. Mine will sit in the breeze from it.

Or also you can fill the cupcake tins with frozen blueberries or mixed berries, add a little water and give them those.

Mine like a shallow tub with water and a few bricks in it. They like drinking from it during the day. You can throw ice cubes in this too.

I set up a mister in their run; after their initial fear over the new 'monster', they don't mind it and graze within range of it. 
Hosing down the run really helps lower temps, IF your area isn't too humid. Not sure it would help as much if your humidity is high.

If there isn't any wind, set up a box fan outside the run, blowing in. Mine will sit in the breeze from it.

I have a mister, too, and so far I like that solution (in a dry climate). It's a tube with nozzles strung along the roof of the run, so the girls aren't aware of it as a strange object. It was 107 today, and I ran it from 3-6, and at 6, when it was super hot, they were cheerful with no panting and eager to run around.

I think it depends on your chickens' personalities; different things work for different ones. My chickens are always very nervous about new treats and new objects -- I think many can be -- so placing things in the run like frozen water bottles and cold treats didn't work for me. I wanted something that would be effective immediately, and they probably would have needed a week to adjust to those things. The mister is passive, in a sense -- they don't have to do anything or change their behavior -- so mine have done better with that. I put in a familiar treat that they like and then turn it on, and they are so happy scratching around that they get used to being misted without realizing it. But again, that's just my girls' personality; others might react differently to these different suggestions. I love the cupcake tin popsicle idea and wish my ladies would go for that. Maybe I'll try to introduce slowly.

Last edited:
I have a mister, too, and so far I like that solution (in a dry climate). It's a tube with nozzles strung along the roof of the run, so the girls aren't aware of it as a strange object. It was 107 today, and I ran it from 3-6, and at 6, when it was super hot, they were cheerful with no panting and eager to run around.

I think it depends on your chickens' personalities; different things work for different ones. My chickens are always very nervous about new treats and new objects -- I think many can be -- so placing things in the run like frozen water bottles and cold treats didn't work for me. I wanted something that would be effective immediately, and they probably would have needed a week to adjust to those things. The mister is passive, in a sense -- they don't have to do anything or change their behavior -- so mine have done better with that. I put in a familiar treat that they like and then turn it on, and they are so happy scratching around that they get used to being misted without realizing it. But again, that's just my girls' personality; others might react differently to these different suggestions. I love the cupcake tin popsicle idea and wish my ladies would go for that. Maybe I'll try to introduce slowly.

you're right about certain treats or even some methods not working quickly or scaring them altogether because of their personalities. I started most of my younger ones with it on the cob (cooked) and those were easy to transition, but then I noticed a group I *missed* avoids corn at any cost. Another food I use for the youngsters is plain spaghetti or ramen noodles. So I cooked some this morning and put in a few pie tins with water in the freezer. We'll see how it goes with everyone
1f60a.png

I have oscillating fans set up, and they do help. I can't really run misters...the humidity is bad in this part of Florida. But I have a baby pool set up in my turkey pen - I have a hen that loves the water, and a mister going in the corner of my guinea pen...they love the artificial rain.

you're right about certain treats or even some methods not working quickly or scaring them altogether because of their personalities. I started most of my younger ones with it on the cob (cooked) and those were easy to transition, but then I noticed a group I *missed* avoids corn at any cost. Another food I use for the youngsters is plain spaghetti or ramen noodles. So I cooked some this morning and put in a few pie tins with water in the freezer. We'll see how it goes with everyone
1f60a.png

I have oscillating fans set up, and they do help. I can't really run misters...the humidity is bad in this part of Florida. But I have a baby pool set up in my turkey pen - I have a hen that loves the water, and a mister going in the corner of my guinea pen...they love the artificial rain.

I wish I could get my hens to go in the water! It would be so cute.
smile.png
I actually bought them a wading pool to give it a try, but they were just terrified of it. How did you acclimate yours to it? Or did she take to it right away?

I picked up a personal mister from Home Depot for about 12.99. It's blue, on a stand with a rounded base, and I just set it right outside the run. At first they couldn't get away from it fast enough - now? Well, see.....

Dora was so silly! When I had the mister in front of the outdoor roost, she was actually shifting positions under it - ever seen a chicken take a shower?
lau.gif

Moved the mister to the other side when the sun changed position and Kat and Matilda couldn't get over there fast enough. I know it's kinda hard to see them, but they are there.
I also use cold watermelon, a pan of water they can step in if they want (they haven't so far) ice in their water bucket, and cold frozen veggies, which they love.

Back
Top Bottom