Best white egg layer for smaller yards?

California white!

petite, awesome egg layers, with a lot of personality. Only downside is, her eggs are white, but shes not very white anymore, LOL

Clairee says hello

IMG_1577.JPG

New to the chicken forum...what Mediterranean breeds exactly are you recommending?
Mediterranean breeds all lay white eggs, and are from the Mediterranean area, Spain and Italy mostly. They tend to be a little more nervous than the Dual purpose breeds that a lot of people like in their yards. Leghorn is a very popular Med. breed. I have 2 Brown Leghorns, they are the smallest of my hens, but they lay the largest eggs. They run back and forth a lot, and sometimes they can pick on the other birds -- even birds larger than they are!

Polish might be a good breed. But their egg laying isn’t the best.
If you can only keep a few birds, I think you would want good layers. The Barred Hollands I have are very good layers, and nice calm birds. Can not say enough good things about them. My 3 older ones, I always get 2 and lots of the time 3 eggs per day from them right now. Here is one, she looks like a Barred Rock, but lays a white egg and is smaller and eats less!

Attachments

• IMG_5300.JPG
    IMG_5300.JPG
    759.5 KB · Views: 3
I've been keeping chickens a while but have pretty much stuck to DP breeds because we are in the city with a small-ish yard so our birds need to be content (= relatively quiet) with being penned most of the day. Is there any white egg layer people would recommend that is not really chatty and flighty? Or should I stick to my DP?
White leghorns hands down!

If you can only keep a few birds, I think you would want good layers. The Barred Hollands I have are very good layers, and nice calm birds. Can not say enough good things about them. My 3 older ones, I always get 2 and lots of the time 3 eggs per day from them right now. Here is one, she looks like a Barred Rock, but lays a white egg and is smaller and eats less!
I’m surprised these are not super popular for backyard chickens. Many white egg layers are very nervous and flighty in temperament. Very few are calm and friendly. But this breed sound wonderful! :love

I’m surprised these are not super popular for backyard chickens. Many white egg layers are very nervous and flighty in temperament. But this breed sound wonderful! :love
I like them. They are calm and friendly like a Rock. They started laying early. The boys were eaten, taste like chicken! The eggs are a little smaller than the Brown Leghorns lay, but just as white. They hatched end of May, and were laying before Christmas. Even the rooster is easy going. The 2 largest white eggs are Brown Leghorn, the other white eggs are Barred Hollands. The light tinted eggs are from another line, the white eggs are from birds I got from @rjohns39 -- he shipped me chicks. They deserve to be raised by more people!

Attachments

• IMG_5300.JPG
    IMG_5300.JPG
    759.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5260.JPG
    IMG_5260.JPG
    895 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5281.JPG
    IMG_5281.JPG
    546.8 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom