Best Winter Layers

sex links, black or red, rhode island reds, white leghorns, barred rocks, i have all of these and i get 4-10 eggs a day from 18, with no added light.

New Hampshires lay huge eggs very reliably. I'm getting some black stars and red stars this spring as well... but the NH is a great bird. They are friendly and pretty. Just my OP!

Hey I forgot to add my blue laced red wyandottes are laying so well! No light or heat in their coop and my 7 girls give me 4-6 eggs a day! And we've got real winters here in North Idaho!

Last edited:
Thanks, everyone!!! I am already looking at the chick catalog after your suggestions!!!!

My Barred Rock has laid 6 eggs a week since mid September. Gotta love that girl! My Speckled Sussex (well one of them) has laid about 5 a week for over a month now and my Blue Laced Red Wyandotte lays 5-6 a week!
2lbkos0.gif

Edited to add my EE has laid 5-6 a week a s well but only started laying less than 3 weeks ago so not sure if that normal yet.

Last edited:
Those sex links do lay well and I thought they laid very well during the winter too but they poop out much younger than my other birds. Seems like my Easter Eggers laid for more years and laid well during the winter just not as many eggs per week as the sex links but I would imagine that since my EEs laid longer they ended up laying more eggs over their lifetimes. Just my experiences. I also had BOs and RIRs who quit laying in the winter but laid very well during fair weather. They too kept laying well into their third and fourth years but took winters off so we ended up getting rid of them. Now we're on to Cochins but the jury is still out.

I live in Canada with lots of snow and below freezing temperatures. This is my first winter with my chickies. I have 4 wonderful babies..... 2 buff orpingtons 1 light brahma and 1 ee. I have been getting eggs from my buffs for 8 - 9 days straight, my light brahma 6 - 7 days straight and my ee generally lays 5- 6 days and then has a break. Last week alone I got 27 eggs from my 4 girls. They all started laying mid to late december and have constantly layed throughout the freezing temperatures. They are most awesome!!!

Quote:
I have light brahmas too. I got them for their looks (very elegant) and their cold hardiness but was surprised to find that they are very good layers as well. I also have Black sexlinks which are always consistent layers. I do not have extra light for the flock and out of 11 chickens we get 7-9 eggs a day all winter long. The BSL are very good in the cold too even though they have large combs and are not as heavily feathered as the brahmas. I would recommend either breed for cold weather and consistent egg production. Have fun picking your breed!
smile.png

I have 9 different breeds and my winters are single digits at night frequently and 20-40 during the day on avg but can be colder. My consistent brown egg layers are partridge rocks, light brahmas, game birds, EE's and turkens believe it or not or good winter layers for me here. I am planning to try other breeds in the future. I am researching on it.......too many choices. That is why I went with a brown egg layers assortment to start with til I concentrate on just a couple of breeds.

Back
Top Bottom