Best Winter Layers

Faverolles were bred for ,among other things, excellent winter laying.
thumbsup.gif

Our White Leghorns are the only ones that have continued to each lay an egg a day so far this winter. Our Rhode Island Reds, Buff Orps and Easter Eggers have slowed a bit but each one lays about every other day. Our temps have gotten down to -8 F. so not as cold as New England. The WLH also spend the most time outside on gray days. They are the first to go out in the morning, the last to go in at night, and they're in and out all day. One day I watched one jump up to catch snowflakes. Not sure if she thought they were bugs or treats falling from the sky.

Thanks again for all the additional posts!

Mrs. Mucket- too bad you didn't have a camera for the snowflake eating chicken! Too cute!!!

Quote:
i was gonna say buff orpingtons, mine just started laying their first eggs this winter, the only problem im having is making them lay in the nest boxes, and i do live in new england and these few hens dont have artifial light, but my other coop does. my leghorn even layed an egg, that was the most surprising
D.gif

Last edited:
Most hens will lay their first winter through if they start to lay in the fall. It is the next winter you should think about. My orps once they molted layed well . I don't have any others who are two or three years old yet. If you are going to keep your hens for more than a year of laying you will need to think of that.
old.gif
Gloria Jean

Back
Top Bottom