Best Winter Layers

Turkeyrun

Chirping
10 Years
Jul 30, 2009
Hi,

What are the best layers through the winter, for brown eggs? We have 20 hens - 6 black copper marans and the rest a mix of EE, BR, black and Gold Laced Wyandottes and Welsummers. The marans began laying in the fall, the rest of the ladies went into their first molt but look to be fully feathered again for several weeks. Now that they are laying again we are getting 4 - 6 eggs a day. It is a little disappointing to be getting so few eggs, during the summer they layed 10 - 14 eggs a day and I was able to sell many of them.

We do not have electric to the coop so extra light during this time a year is not an option. Biased on your experiences what type(s) of chicken(s) lays the most consistently through the winter?

Thank you
Mary
jumpy.gif

Red Sex Links are great! I've heard Black Sex Links and White Leghorns are good too (I have both, but they're not laying yet). Also I've heard Salmon Faverolles are good winter layers.

I have 2 Americaunas & 1 RIR, of which all 3 are 7 months old. I get 1 a day from each like clock work. Sometimes the time does vary but overall the Red has been the most consistent.

I also have some other pulltets that are just now starting to lay. When it's time to replenish the flock, RIR will be my 1st chioce.

I'm in Alaska and my RIR lay about 4 a week, the Leghorns white and brown lay almost every day. The red Star sex link aka Golden Comet, Cinnamon Queen lay every day just like the leghorns. The marans are moody, some weeks they'll do four or five, next week it's 2 or 3. Overall, I'll take that they give, some weeks are better then others. Since we have winter for about 7 months out of the year, we can't have the breeds not hardy for cold weather. I was hesitant on the leghorns but they've been doing fine the last two winters.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom