Beta Rooster Challenged Alpha and won

Since they are the same age males (Thunder and Renegade), then I’d pick the one you want to keep (likely Renegade) and get rid of the other. If you want the 6 month old as a possible replacement eventually, or to make sure eggs are fertile, keep him around as he doesn’t seem to be causing trouble.

overall, Thunder is doing his thing...took top role, and continues to maintain top by beating down/keeping down the other. But, he’s also acting like a jerk to everyone else and doesn’t seem to have a gentlemanly bone in his body for the ladies.

i would ask why you have a rooster, or why you want to have more than one rooster?
for myself, i only keep one rooster.
i keep one because i like to hear the crowing, i let my broodies hatch chicks so i need fertile eggs. i like how the rooster keeps lookout and warns the girls of danger.
if he attacks myself, my family or my friends, his head comes off.
if he is overzealous and abusive or rough to the hens...his head comes off.
if i notice bear backs and heads on my hens...his head comes off.
my hens come first.
the rooster i have now has romanced my hens from day one. i got him off craigslist.
he leads the hens, looks out for them, feeds them tidbits and is a gentlemen. he was about year old when i got him.
young rooster can be jerks until they mature.

Both my Alpha (Renegade) and Beta (Thunder) Roosters are ~ 2.5 years old. Both EEs. They grew up together and have always had a harmonious relationship. This spring two more roos hatched. The Alpha injured both and one was so severely injured he had to be put down. The other had a leg injury and survived and is now fully recovered, but well knows his place. Six more roos were born this fall and are now separated from the flock. Two days ago Thunder challenged Renegade and won, leaving him exhausted and bleeding heavily. I patched him up and kept them separated for two days.

Today they are both back in gen pop and Thunder now seems to be the new Alpha and he's picking on everyone. He chases the Renegade and the young rooster around, pulls feathers off the hens and pecks 16 and 10 week old hens in the head.

I have 36 layers and three feeding and water stations. Neither rooster has every shown any aggression toward another chicken or person. Both roosters have protected the flock well and I hate to lose either. Does anyone have suggestions on how to handle this situation? Or should I let nature take its course? Will Thunder kill Renegade to ensure his position? What makes a Rooster change his disposition so suddenly? Was it all the new roosters born in the coop?
Thunder having trouble switching from aggressive mode to harem master mode because rival males still close. He thus treating hens, pullets and immature birds aggressively. Removing other males may speed Thunder's settling down into a proper harem master.

This all kind of like a bar brawling daddy that takes aggression out on wife and kids because he is kept riled by interactions with other dudes at bar.

i would ask why you have a rooster, or why you want to have more than one rooster?
I want the roosters for protection. We live in a very rural area and even though the chickens have a large fenced in yard (400 sq ft), we still have predators. Renegade has been a great protector - he fought a red tailed hawk and won. Thunder is a great alarm bell - he's constantly sounding the alarm and warning the hens. Between the two, they keep the hens safe and like I mentioned in my original post, they've been working together without issue for 2.5 years now.
I think Centrarchid hit the hammer with the nail - it's all the new roos born this year that added the heat to make this kettle boil over.
I'll watch the dynamic for a few more days to see if Thunder becomes more civil. If he can't work things out peacefully, he's gone. It won't be the first time I've eaten one of my roosters and it won't be the last.

Back
Top Bottom