Beta Rooster Habits and Quality of Life

I had similar issues and decided to separate the problem roo from the rest of the flock. It did not go well and actually made things worse! I put him in a large kennel, but still in the coop and visible to the rest of the flock and when I decided to let him rejoin everyone we nearly had a bloodbath. He was immediately rushed by the other (usually timid) Roo and I thought I would never get them separated. We ended up rehoming him because we saw no way to make it work while giving both roosters a good quality of life.

Is it best to completely remove him from the space or keep him separate in a kennel but with everyone?

Separation of a dominant cockerel/rooster does not work in the same way that removal of a dominant hen sometimes works. It makes things worse. When the Alpha is returned to the flock he will return with a vengeance.

Very true! I noticed this beginning about late last month when all of the hens started laying. I have 11 hens (was supposed to have all hens but that didn't work out, haha)! I don't think it's a way to live either which is why I am working on figuring out how I can give Ezra his own space. He needs to be social and needs exercise! I handle and hand feed all of my babies except Barry, he's not a fan of me. I am trying to break him down and make him love me by capturing him and carrying around, but it's no easy task!
In the Brooder
That works. He will succumb to your charms eventually.

One thing I do when I'm socializing birds is watch television with them. At the end of the day, after dinner when we're sitting down to watch a movie, I'll scoop up the bird, wrap it in a towel and sit with it in my lap. I pet it and stroke it's comb and wattles. Once they get used to the tv, the dog, the cat, and the other people and realize nothing is happening to them, they settle down usually go to sleep. If there are loud noises or bright lights I'll drape a corner of the towel over the face to give them a buffer. The boys in particular like having their wattles and comb stroked.

I had similar issues and decided to separate the problem roo from the rest of the flock. It did not go well and actually made things worse! I put him in a large kennel, but still in the coop and visible to the rest of the flock and when I decided to let him rejoin everyone we nearly had a bloodbath. He was immediately rushed by the other (usually timid) Roo and I thought I would never get them separated. We ended up rehoming him because we saw no way to make it work while giving both roosters a good quality of life.
I'm glad you were able to rehome him!

I would keep Barry as he seems to be healthy, accepted by the hens and in charge. And he is gorgeous!

A cockerel that is behaving (and looking) the way Ezra does and/or is described would lead me to think that he might have some health issues whether innate or acquired.

I would keep Barry as he seems to be healthy, accepted by the hens and in charge. And he is gorgeous!

A cockerel that is behaving (and looking) the way Ezra does and/or is described would lead me to think that he might have some health issues whether innate or acquired.

Really? Why do you say that? He doesn't seem to have health issues (maybe stress?), just waaaay more docile. I figured it was more of a breed issue. I really don't want to get rid of him, especially with his temperament, that's why I'm thinking of building him his own bachelor pad ;-)

Back
Top Bottom