Better egg layer

monkeyqueen

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 27, 2013
Looking to add a few pullets to my flock. I'm torn between Australorps and Ameruacanas. I have 1 ameruacana, she's been laying about a month with no regularity. Not sure this is the breed or the weather. I want a durable good layer. Which breed is best?

The Australorp is a good layer, and is cold and heat hardy. Other good layers include Rhode Island Reds, Leghorns, Plymouth Rocks, and Black Sex Links.
smile.png

Thank you. I have a Rock started laying about month ago, she's giving 5-6 eggs a wk, so real pleased. Have 3 RIRs, not sure on the age, was told spring batch when I purchased in July. Also have a black hen, have no idea the breed, assuming a mutt as no one can tell me for sure. Has coloration of Australorp, but has a pea comb. I've gotten maybe 8 eggs from those 4 ladies since last July. Been told reds are temperamental will lay when they want. My Ameruacana is giving 3-4 eggs a week, which is the normal for this breed, I've read. She's a big hit with the grand babies. I want eggs! I also want birds that are hardy and non-aggressive.

We have a red sex link that has given us an egg each day for the past 73 days. She consistently gives us 6-7 extra-large eggs per week. Our barred rock and speckled Sussex do very well at 5-6 eggs each per week, although the speckled produces smaller eggs than the other 2. We also got an Australorp because I heard they were great layers. Ours gives us 4-5 eggs per week, although not consistently, and hers are always the smallest eggs.

Australorps will lay better than true Ameraucana. However, many EEs lay better than Australorps. If you want colored eggs, go for an Easter Egger (which you might already have, as the majority of people who were sold Ameraucanas were actually sold Easter Eggers).

If you're not set on those two breeds, then I'd get some variety of sex-link. Red Sex Link, Black Sex Link, ISA Brown, etc. will all lay twice as many eggs as an Ameraucana.

Back
Top Bottom