Better hatch with full bator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ironjerry, Mar 28, 2008.

1. ironjerry

ironjerry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    medina, ohio
    I just put 7 Royal Pa;m turkey eggs in my hovabator. Would I have better luck if I had more eggs in the bator or does it matter-humidity, loss of heat? First timer with turkey eggs. I have silkies, cochins and other banties laying eggs so I could fill bator. Anyone have an opinion?

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You can add some sealed jars of warm water to act as a heat sink and to take up space to stablize the bator.

3. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I think more is better. 6 silkie eggs 0%, 24 silkie eggs 50%, 15 buff orps 80% all 15 where fertile though and 6 ducks my first time. No hatch rate yet

4. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    I'm an uber newbie at hatching, but I've noticed that the foam incubator tends to hold temperature better with more eggs in it. A lot of people have suggested using heat sinks (like containers filled with water) to help regulate in lieu of adding more eggs.

I've not hatched anything but chicks, however!

5. ironjerry

ironjerry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    medina, ohio
    Thanks for the info. I might add more eggs and the heat sink idea. I love this site people are so kind God Bless Ironjerry
    20 chickens, 2 goats, 5 dogs, 2 sugar gliders(daughters) 3 kids and one understanding wife.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by