Better not to feed BOSS seeds?

JNC

Songster
May 5, 2020
Kendallville Indiana, US
So I bought about a pound or so of cracked corn mixed with other seeds for my chicken. She eats everything but the sunflower seeds. I was thinking of sprouting them so maybe she’ll like them them but I was reading that they were really high in protein and about 40% fat. I don’t feel comfortable feeding my chicken something so high in fat. What are your thoughts on this?

So I bought about a pound or so of cracked corn mixed with other seeds for my chicken. She eats everything but the sunflower seeds. I was thinking of sprouting them so maybe she’ll like them them but I was reading that they were really high in protein and about 40% fat. I don’t feel comfortable feeding my chicken something so high in fat. What are your thoughts on this?
Sunflower seeds are a good treat, the feed we buy is pretty low fat. My chickens love them but chickens that are not given a food as a young bird might not know it is good. It might take a while, and they are not the main food, you might not want to take the time to teach your bird to like them.

Sunflower seeds are a good treat, the feed we buy is pretty low fat. My chickens love them but chickens that are not given a food as a young bird might not know it is good. It might take a while, and they are not the main food, you might not want to take the time to teach your bird to like them.
Oh that probably explains why my chicken likes very little things. She is so picky. Thank you for this I didn’t know that chickens developed flavor at a young age!

I doubt a chicken will have any problems with natural plant "fats" , especially, when feeding as a treat or only occasional meals. They do not live long enough or have the same needs or problems as humans do , from saturated fats. In fact there is good science evidence that sugar is responsible for much of what fat is blamed for in human health. A good example is, native peoples diets, that were/are heavily dependent on large amounts of animal fats, deteriorate with a "modern" diet of processed (hydrogenated animal and vegetable ) fats and foods, high in sodium and sugars. It commonly takes a couple decades(or more) before bad diets, high in saturated fats and cholesterol are problems for humans, except in morbid obesity/eating disorders. In fact the high protein and healthy natural plant fats are great for animal feeds, to boost up the nutrition levels, from lower protein and fat ingredients. Sunflower seeds are mainstays in many bird feed blends. Best wishes for happy chickens!

I doubt a chicken will have any problems with natural plant "fats" , especially, when feeding as a treat or only occasional meals. They do not live long enough or have the same needs or problems as humans do , from saturated fats. In fact there is good science evidence that sugar is responsible for much of what fat is blamed for in human health. A good example is, native peoples diets, that were/are heavily dependent on large amounts of animal fats, deteriorate with a "modern" diet of processed (hydrogenated animal and vegetable ) fats and foods, high in sodium and sugars. It commonly takes a couple decades(or more) before bad diets, high in saturated fats and cholesterol are problems for humans, except in morbid obesity/eating disorders. In fact the high protein and healthy natural plant fats are great for animal feeds, to boost up the nutrition levels, from lower protein and fat ingredients. Sunflower seeds are mainstays in many bird feed blends. Best wishes for happy chickens!
The feed we buy has low fat levels to give it longer shelf life. Birds will not eat rancid feed! Sunflower seeds in the shell do not go rancid fast like processed feed does.

The feed we buy has low fat levels to give it longer shelf life. Birds will not eat rancid feed! Sunflower seeds in the shell do not go rancid fast like processed feed does.
Your right! I have grown sunflowers for my birds and feeders. I checked for spoilage regularly till I use it all. I also feed it in the shell for my bird feeders. Personally, I have never used dehulled sunflower seed. Strangely , I have never fed them to my chickens, intentionally, but I know they ate them off the ground in my gardens.

My chickens get the cheap wild bird seed with the sunflowers and milo for a treat, they chow down on it! I think it keeps the poops a little less runny to have all that roughage. Once it has been through a chicken it is ground up fine and you do not get volunteer sunflowers!

Moderation is key to supplemental feeding in conjunction with a well balanced daily feed diet. Too much of anything new, is sometimes bad. All treats and diet additions to their regular balanced ration should be thoughtfully administered. I give selected garden treats and high protein treats, low in fat usually, like dried meal worms or similar. In very cold weather, some higher fat/energy treats may be safely offered in small amounts, including oil seeds, corn or similar items. I supplement my flock with oyster shell and grit, and use DT earth regularly around and in the coop. I never give them a large amount of anything, except their balanced daily feed. Over crowding, a poor diet, that is not well balanced, too hot, too cold, bad water, and or a rogue bird or two, that needs culling, can cause all kinds of flock problems! The diet part is fairly easy for me, I work at the other flock issues, but culling is a more difficult decision. I had a brother that was his dogs worse enemy, even though he loved her, he fed her to death. Table scraps, meat and fat in excess killed her as sure as a bullet. Many people are among their chickens worse enemies, as well. Purchase or calculate and blend a balanced diet and be stingy with the treats. I give my birds a small treat many days, and never so much of anything regularly, that would significantly alter their diet from near the established ideals! I experimented for years, but always default to proper balanced feeds and careful supplementation for the best results over time.

Back
Top Bottom