I have five 2 week old chicks of various breeds (female). I am considering adding a rooster to the mix. I don't care about fertilized eggs. My DH just really wants a rooster, and I'm thinking of the protection factor that many say a rooster offers. My question is....Would it make an easier transition for everyone involved to get a cockeral my own chicks age in a few weeks (thinking I might have to wait a few weeks to insure someone could tell that it WAS a male), or would it be better to just wait till early spring (I will not be allowing my girls out of their run to "free range" a bit until then). I'm thinking if I wait, then the temperament of the cockerel/rooster will already be set, and I can get a "nice" one...one that is known to be friendly and gentle (with people AND hens). But I like the idea of them growing up together if I get one while younger.... Your input would be appreciated.