Between the coyotes and bobcats I am at a loss

ProductionRed09

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 6, 2009
Kodak
A few months ago a pack of coyotes got away with 20 chickens..

I had someone come over and help me fix the weakest link with chain link.

I have bird netting over the tops of the runs to keep birds of prey out...I went outside this morning to collect eggs and noticed that there are bobcat prints all around the runs and the coop..

Then I looked up at one of the covered runs, the bird netting is GONE!!!

I did a head count..I have lost 10 more pullets.
hit.gif
barnie.gif
he.gif

Now what?!?!?

Last edited:
I have a shotgun, I have a have-a-heart trap, I have bait...

I need to figure out what would work better over the tops of the runs, something that will hold they weight of a large cat...

We resorted to using regular 1" chicken wire across the tops of our runs. We too had coyotes (or maybe fox) take 8 pullets one night thru the smallest of cracks.

Its a little more expensive, but since we changed I have not lost another bird

hugs.gif
Awww, I'm so sorry for the loss! I have no experience with these types of predators. Perhaps you should first check with your local Wildlife Officer to learn your legal options for trapping/shooting. But even if it's legal to trap or shoot them, you will want to sleep indoors at least a few nights a week. So you're going to have to reinforce your coops & runs to make them more safe. Maybe even add electric wire and/or those NightGuard lights.

If funds are limited you can ask for materials from your local FreeCycle group, or see if there's a ReStore in your area, it's a second-hand store for building materials run for & benefitting Habitat for Humanity.

I am in a rural area, and I was told today that I can trap, shoot and kill any predator minus the Golden Eagle that tries to get my chickens..

I think I will go electric...Time to shock the bejeepers out of all the large cats and coyotes..

I wil "third" that suggestion...nothing is going to get past a couple of strands of electic fence!!!(lol) Go for it! Blessings, Keri

Electric fence works best.
If you want to keep the bobcat off your netting you can just wrap the corner posts with roof flashing about 12" wide 4' off the ground. That way nothing can climb up to the top of your pen.

Just a second thought...if electric fence isn't an option(although I think this would do the trick)...then maybe get a dog(large enough to defend the flock...not aggressive enough to harass your flock). I have cockapoo that LOVES to be out in the side yard with our chickens. She used to chase them(just a little bit) when they were babies but now she totally repects them and I know would defend them! She rascally so if she hears any noise at all she's totaly growling and on it! It's a great season to adopt a dog! He might be so appreciative of his new home that he would do a good job for ya!Blessings, Keri

Back
Top Bottom