Beware CPSIA New Law Affects Crafters and Artists Trying to Sell!

Yes, Seismic wonder2, that is exactly what I was saying. As long as you don't chemically alter the supplies. This is why those in my line of artistry, pottery are a bit more susceptible; we DO chemically alter our purchased materials when we expose them to the heat of a kiln or apply glazes.

Quote:
For something that's supposed to be "common", common sense certainly is a rare commodity, isn't it? If you don't believe it, check out Randy Cassingham's "This is True" items sometime, and read some of the ZT (zero tolerance) bonehead decisions made by not only our own school officials and public officials, but those in other countries as well. (Sorry EnglishChick, the Brits are in there too!)
smile.png
Amazing how rare common sense can actually be...
barnie.gif
idunno.gif

I've been trying to sort through this for our vendors at the local farmers' market.

From how I understand it - even if the raw materials you use are ok - there is NO provision in the law, as it is, to let you off the hook. (Personally, I'm hoping where this goes - that as long as we use approved materials, the end result will not need to be tested)

I'm taking a wait and see attitude - but I've already seen some of the results. I recently tried to buy a special bike for a grandson that is made in Germany. They were sold out and have no plans to restock because the increase in price will not make it feasible. This is too bad. I love european toys. Although they have higher safety regs than the US, this law covers them too - so the already expensive toys will be higher. I've heard some of them have decided to just not ship here anymore.

This is going to be a mess until they figure it out. I'm glad that I haven't spent the winter making dolls to sell at market this year.

Lastly - if they don't do something, it wouldn't suprise me if the 'child-related' vendor is no longer welcome at shows or farmers' markets. They wouldn't want to risk the fine which according to what I've read has recently been raised to $100,000.

Back
Top Bottom