Beware: feeder and waterer handles! "PSA"

I came across an unanticipated danger when it comes to the small brooder feeders and waterers.
In the first picture, I have a set of small (blue) feeder and waterer. Notice the handles that form an arch on the top...a very common design. My chicks had started to perch on top of these handles.
The other day I was in the garage and spooked the chicks, the one that had perched on the feeder, in haste, attempted to dart away. It's toe got caught under the handle and it fell, toe bent backwards, stuck and dangling upside-down, unable to free itself. It started screeching and chirping in pain and fear. I unzipped the opening and snatched the bird upright as fast as I could, freeing its toe. Luckily, it didn't appear to be broken/ injured. My little Australorp is fine. But it was scary. I have switched the brooder feeder and waterer to styles that do not have handles on top (pic)... now they can perch, safely. After this experience, I do not recommend the style that has the handles on top.
We have the same blue feeder and waterer, I'm wondering any ideas how to keep the chicks from roosting on top of the feeder and waterer? They poop on top and contaminate food and water. 8 chicks, 2 weeks old. Thanks for any suggestions

We have the same blue feeder and waterer, I'm wondering any ideas how to keep the chicks from roosting on top of the feeder and waterer? They poop on top and contaminate food and water. 8 chicks, 2 weeks old. Thanks for any suggestions
You can make a cone out of cardboard and then tape it down on top, or if you can find a funnel in a similar size, tape that down. If chicks try to stand on top they'll just slide right off.

A separate PSA about waterers and handles.

Don’t carry a full double wall metal vacuum waterer by the handle. Over time it can break the spot welds on the top. That will break the vacuum seal and cause the waterer to slowly leak out and empty. I say slowly, but the one I had took about 4 hours to empty. If you aren’t paying attention 18 hours with an empty waterer is no good.

It can be fixed by JB Welding the top to seal it back up, but it’s just easier to carry it back to the coop in two pieces.

Add a separate roost (stick? Board?) that’s a little higher and they’ll go to that rather than the top of the feeder/waterer?

The taped funnel can work. Or hang something over it but too close for them to set on top. A simple way is to put some dirt or sand in a milk jug so the wind doesn't blow it away and hang that over the feeder or waterer.

Back
Top Bottom