Beware Lancaster Fancy Fowl

I am new here. But wanted to put my 2 cents in as I recently purchased 3 Pullets from LFF. I love my 3 chickens and they are doing good. They all seem healthy and eat and drink well, although not totally taught on nipples yet. I ordered them and then had correspondence with Jennie, made an appointment with a 1 hour window as I was traveling from 4 hours away and wanted to hit up Roots while I was in the area. We got there no one around, I knocked on every door of house and building and yelled out. after 15 minutes of continuous knocking on the door ( that was open to walk into the house! ) and yelling into every building. We looked up the number and called and they called back ( I think John but I wasn't on the cell ) . After You didn't go into the buildings did you! reference point: I have 13 years experience in the Biotech/Pharma Industry and taught people to work in Class 4 clean rooms! I am not going to violate a potential bio-hazard barrier! They did apologize and send a kid out to catch me my 3 pullets. Another 25 minutes later! I got to go beyond the door and see some of the layout, while he was catching my chickens. They seem pretty straight up on their function of a healthy chicken farm. All animals seemed good, but their Business standpoint is pathetic! I am all for Small Farms in the US and try to support them. But their is no way that from what I saw at that farm they contain that many breeds. Do I stand behind their quality , Yes! But the experience of dealing with them makes me think twice! I am Happy with my purchase but my experience with them makes me think twice!

I am not familiar with LFF, but selling chickens isn't a production line. Compounded more by the smaller size. Most small sellers work other jobs and have a life, other than bowing to you.

This is not false advertising. LFF talks about and recruits Grower/Partners on their website. The Grower / Partners are small flock people with an interest in a particular breed, that LFF can work to get chicks when demand is up. And about demand -- LFF tells everyone to order, order, order in advance. A small hatchery is not like a WalMart where you can walks in a find 180 breads, male and female in each, of different ages, all year around, that you pick up like milk and cereal on your way home. Chickens are a perishable commodity -- even at Tractor Supply. You may be ignorant of the industry, but don't be malicious to the business, and business person, that you don't know, let alone understand.

. But their is no way that from what I saw at that farm they contain that many breeds. Do I stand behind their quality , Yes!
Please don't hurl criticism without the facts. Yet another person claim some sort of wrongdoing about the chickens LFF sells. LFF, clearly and plainly on their website, talks about and recruits, GROWER PARTNERS,-- a network of small flock people with an interest in a particular breed, who deliver chicks to meet demand at LFF. Chickens are perishible and have a carrying cost. LFF can't have all those breeds, hens and roos, of various ages, all year around for drop-ins to pick up like they getting milk and cereal at WalMart. LFF tries to get people to order in advance. I ordered and paid for my started pullets from LFF 13 or 14 weeks before my pick up, like a mature responsible person with the ability to plan for the future. I guess some people will want to pick up chickens like they are getting them from a 7 - 11. Maybe LFF should offer drive through for these folks.

A lot of hatcheries are brokers. A common practice in the chicken industry.

I am just curious if LFF sources chickens from Amish farmers:
When I was there to pick up, I met two grower partners. Neither was Amish. John dictates how the grower/partners handle and raise the birds. I don't think Amish people would go for that sort of arrangement.

A lot of hatcheries are brokers. A common practice in the chicken industry.

I am just curious if LFF sources chickens from Amish farmers:

How are they Brokers? Is it because they are partnered with breeders, or do breeders enlist/pay certain hatcheries to move their product?

I never thought of hatcheries as brokers. Learn something new everyday they say.
cool.png

Last edited:
I have heard from some of my other "chicken" people friends that they obtain some of their stock from local auctions, like Green Dragon. I also am friends with a BCM breeder and LFF has been trying to get chicks from him to advertise as if LFF was the ones to breed them.

Back
Top Bottom