Beware Lancaster Fancy Fowl

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by blondi61189, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Ifish

Ifish Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2015
    PA
    I am not familiar with LFF, but selling chickens isn't a production line. Compounded more by the smaller size. Most small sellers work other jobs and have a life, other than bowing to you.

1 person likes this.
  2. dfalchek

dfalchek Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2014
    Scranton, Pa
    This is not false advertising. LFF talks about and recruits Grower/Partners on their website. The Grower / Partners are small flock people with an interest in a particular breed, that LFF can work to get chicks when demand is up. And about demand -- LFF tells everyone to order, order, order in advance. A small hatchery is not like a WalMart where you can walks in a find 180 breads, male and female in each, of different ages, all year around, that you pick up like milk and cereal on your way home. Chickens are a perishable commodity -- even at Tractor Supply. You may be ignorant of the industry, but don't be malicious to the business, and business person, that you don't know, let alone understand.

3. dfalchek

Dec 20, 2014
    Scranton, Pa
    Please don't hurl criticism without the facts. Yet another person claim some sort of wrongdoing about the chickens LFF sells. LFF, clearly and plainly on their website, talks about and recruits, GROWER PARTNERS,-- a network of small flock people with an interest in a particular breed, who deliver chicks to meet demand at LFF. Chickens are perishible and have a carrying cost. LFF can't have all those breeds, hens and roos, of various ages, all year around for drop-ins to pick up like they getting milk and cereal at WalMart. LFF tries to get people to order in advance. I ordered and paid for my started pullets from LFF 13 or 14 weeks before my pick up, like a mature responsible person with the ability to plan for the future. I guess some people will want to pick up chickens like they are getting them from a 7 - 11. Maybe LFF should offer drive through for these folks.

4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

A lot of hatcheries are brokers. A common practice in the chicken industry.

I am just curious if LFF sources chickens from Amish farmers:

5. dfalchek

Dec 20, 2014
    Scranton, Pa
    When I was there to pick up, I met two grower partners. Neither was Amish. John dictates how the grower/partners handle and raise the birds. I don't think Amish people would go for that sort of arrangement.

6. enola

That was what I was wondering. I don't have much respect for how the Amish care for their animals.

1 person likes this.
  7. dfalchek

Dec 20, 2014
    Scranton, Pa
    True that #puppymills

8. Ifish

Ifish Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2015
    PA
    How are they Brokers? Is it because they are partnered with breeders, or do breeders enlist/pay certain hatcheries to move their product?

I never thought of hatcheries as brokers. Learn something new everyday they say. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  9. enola

SOME Amish farmers treat all of their animals like a commodity. Not all of them. I have seen horses brought to sales barns that appear to have been worked to within an inch of their life.

10. 79camaro

79camaro Just Hatched

Aug 5, 2012
    Denver, PA
    I have heard from some of my other "chicken" people friends that they obtain some of their stock from local auctions, like Green Dragon. I also am friends with a BCM breeder and LFF has been trying to get chicks from him to advertise as if LFF was the ones to breed them.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by