1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Beware of ticks...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by reallemons1, Jan 25, 2009.

1. reallemons1

reallemons1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Gloucester, VA
    They will suck your brains out. DH found this poor bird already dead beside the house today. I didn't know ticks were even out this time of year. Or that they could even do this to a bird. Well, guessing the tick was why it died.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Well they won't suck your brains out, but they do survive on blood, and little birds like that don't have much, as with other small animals.

3. Lmarie

Lmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2009
    Way Over Yonder, GA
    I didn't think ticks attatched to birds because their body temp was too high...
    Learn something new everyday. [​IMG]

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I'm thinking it died from something else...

5. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

the tick was probably living in the birds nest,,, but i doubt the tick is why it died,, it would burst before it got even 1/4 of the birds blood.

6. Black Feather

Black Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    I think I'm going to have nightmares from that pic.....

Poor poor bird! I can believe that the tick would have killed it. If the tick was diverting enough blood from reaching the brain I suspect that death might have been caused. Not to mention the invasive nature of the tick's bite and burrowing around the skull.....who knows what mouth parts ended up where.

Ick.....just ick! Not a nice way to die if this truly is what happened.

Maybe take the bird to a vet for an autopsy to find out for sure? The vet may be curious enough to do it.

Urban Coyote

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  7. reallemons1

reallemons1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Gloucester, VA
    I would like to know what really caused that little birds death. It wasn't thin and its feathers looked healthy. DH already gave it a proper burial in the woods and we probably couldn't even find him again. Guess we'll never really know.

8. digginchicks

digginchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2009
    Sullivan, Indiana
    That's strange I have never seen a tick on any type of bird, and I hope that I never do again!

9. Granolamom

Granolamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Dallas
    Yep, I had the same thing happen to one of my BR pullets about a month ago. She was acting strange, wouldn't eat, just stood around, looking dazed, and when I separated her from the others to check her, I noticed a big, fat, tick right over her eye. I really do believe that it could have killed her, if I had not removed it, because she was declining so quickly, over the course of 24 hours. When I carefully removed the tick, the wound bled like crazy, and was really hurting her, from what I could tell. It took her a full 24 hours more to come back around. I'll be watching out for these little bloodsuckers from here on out!

10. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    oh my! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by