Beware Of Tunneling Skunks!!! (Graphic Pictures)

We lost one to a skunk this year too. Another tidbit of info... they can also fit through a chain link fence. Went right through like a kitten - we had to wrap our kennel with chicken wire.
sorry for your loss. You might get some hate, but I agree kill it. It will keep coming back for more.
Yes, the definitely can squeeze through chain link. I have a funny story involving that. I have a long driveway and I have to drag trashcans down it every week. A friend of mine was there at the time and volunteered to help. We were walking back up when I noticed something in the small field separating me from my neighbors. I will admit, I thought it was a turkey, but no. It was three juvenile skunks walking in a clump. They all split up once they got close enough to the two of us. At that point, I was in panic mode and just trying to get near my house in time. One scooted through the chain link while another jumped the fence. I'm not sure what the third one did to get in my yard area, but it made it. I stood at my doorway with by friend a later saw they regrouped at the back of my house and head towards another neighbor. I've seen them on other occasions, usually only one at a time. I think they went over to eat eggs because my neighbors have free-ranging chickens.

Skunk are adept little diggers. We had a little skunk family start taking eggs from the university farm. They never went after the birds themselves, but these also seemed to be juveniles. Ended up catching and dispatching two skunks - it's amazing how far that skunk smell will go. I wasn't in the direct line of fire, but made the mistake of handling some items (like the trap) with my bare hands. Couldn't get that smell off my hands for a week and we tried everything. Oxyclean worked wonders on my clothes, though.

Electric poultry netting seems to have helped us avoid a repeat experience.

It's good that you caught him. It's sad that the skunk had to die, but your chicken's safety comes first. :thumbsup
Yeah, we're glad we took care of the problem Skunk. Our birds are our #1. Producers, so we need to keep the numbers stable.

Back
Top Bottom