Beyond The Purple Door...Chat thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
Sure! Thanks
Here you go.
0,1_Antwerpener_Bartzwerg_-_wachtelfarbig.jpg

Opinion on Muscovy ducks, thinking about getting some, have 1 Acer. and 1/2 of that is pasture.
I love them. Had some ducklings given to me when I was about twelve or thirteen. Aeons ago.

They are not related to any ducks out there. Muscovys are a new world duck, they originate. They fly very well untill they get too heavy. They will perch on roosts. and have very sharp claws. So handling them is a careful process.

I love their little hisses and chirps... Waggly tails and bobbing heads. They do get into a routine. When I took them down to the boarding stable we used to herd them down to the River bed. at the time was just a string of little streams and ponds. The gorged on Duck weed and played in the water. but at dinner time they would Fly the Two or three hundred feet back to where their feed tub was...

After a while they would walk to the ponds at the same time every day and Scurry back at feed time.

For what its worth Wild Muscovies don't have the huge carbuncles on their faces and they are mostly either Black or dark brown.

They are a very large duck too. Males can get up to 10 to 15 pounds and Females get around 6 to seven pounds.

deb

I love my muscovy. They are more docile and quiet than mallard based breeds. They also forage more, and swim less. To me they are the most perfect duck breed. I like too that they roost at night, well at least in winter, during the warmer months they wander my yard at night catching bugs. Nothing more adorable than a band of ducks walking along with their heads down looking for a meal. :)

I love my muscovy. They are more docile and quiet than mallard based breeds. They also forage more, and swim less. To me they are the most perfect duck breed. I like too that they roost at night, well at least in winter, during the warmer months they wander my yard at night catching bugs. Nothing more adorable than a band of ducks walking along with their heads down looking for a meal. :)
@Clearwater Chicken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom