Biden - Palin Debate, Anyone watch it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
That's how it was done in the old days, too. I'm still disappointed that our invasion of 1775 didn't work.

(Yes, I'm that old.)

Quote:
You might want to see who is really keeping the moratoriums in place on oil shale, coal, nuclear energy, and drilling in ANWR. It isn't industry.

Democrats are the ones that keep voting those moratoriums in place.

I hope all of you that are planning on voting for Obama have read his books. I have and they scare the heck out of me. They tell you exactly what he thinks of the white race. I have nothing against voting for a black man. Just can't vote for this one. To bad Colin Powell didn't run.

Oblio, Kstaven.....

To revive a very old campaign slogan....54 40 or Fight.

Hope you like the Yukon, kstaven, 'cause I think that's Hugo's new slogan. He knows where the Oregon territory was supposed to end.

BonnieMiranda, I'd join your late night chats too.

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks, PC, for this discussion. It has been a lot of fun and I've thoroughly enjoyed having it. You know, I was thinking about this last night. Through our discussion, you and I have found many areas where we agree and several where we have not. Yet, we've managed to have a discussion with mutual respect for our differing opinions. While you and I have a different approach to some areas of politics, with you prefering a more action militarily and less action in the markets than I, we each found a way to come together and discuss in a reasoned and respectful fashion. What kind of a nation do you think we'd have if politicians could do the same?

There was a time in our history when it was that way, when politicians would have a (sometimes heated) exchange on the House floor, then link arms and leave the building and go and have a drink with one another leaving politics behind and seeing each other only as friends. Hmm, as one who enjoys political books, perhaps the next read on my list should be Ronald Brownstein's The Second Civil War: How Extreme Partisanship Has Paralyzed Washington and Polarized America. I like this line I lifted from the Amazon site, "The 1938 resurgence of the Republican Party marked the start of the age of bargaining, with presidents and legislators crossing party lines to govern through consensus." According to Brownstein, this followed a period of hyper-partisanship that began in 1896. In this history of America, this would have followed the deep recession that began in the early 1890s, then followed through the boom period that eventually led to the Great Depression. I'd love to believe that deep partisan politics took a back seat to solve a national crisis, and while that may be true, partisanship never really died. But, for a time, the men of Washington found a way to come together and work for the good of the American people. I hope, in my lifetime, to see that once again. That we could experience just a little bit of that in our discussion at BYC, gives me hope that we will.

Last edited:
Quote:
I'd also love one of those late night discussions. Imagine how things would be if more of us could do the same.
smile.png

PC and BYB, I've also enjoyed your discussion. I liked that I could watch people more articulate than me could argue points that I both agreed and disagreed with. I wish I had the skill the two of you showed. I'm always afraid that I come off as strident and shrill; in addition to typing at glacial speed. It is always fun when you can share a difference of opinion with respect and humor.......Kudos to both of you. Thanks for keeping the thread from being shut down.

Quote:
Thanks Ninja. I don't know BYB very well but there is obviously a lot of brainpower
in action there. When reasoned people discuss things they can learn a lot. I know
I have.

Regardless of who wins the election I plan to stand behind them and support them
as our leader. Hopefully some of the extreme polarization will go away after the
election.

Thanks PC. This has been a fun exchange for me as well and I've thoroughly enjoyed your input into the discussion.

I also agree with you that I hope that the extreme polarizations will go away after the election. Sadly, with the economy in the shape that it is, it's going to take just that to resolve it. For the good of our nation, I hope that it does.

As far as not knowing me well, yeah, I don't really post all that much as you can tell by how long I've been here at BYC and looking at my post count, though I've been around EZ-BYC since I first got my girls in Spring '06. However, if I'm remembering correctly, I think that there may have been a time or two we "talked" in Chat, though that would have been a loooooong time ago. Either way, should I ever wander in and see ya there, I'll make sure to say hi . . . . and thanks.

Last edited:
You might want to see who is really keeping the moratoriums in place on oil shale, coal, nuclear energy, and drilling in ANWR. It isn't industry.

You might want to look at how much Obama and Dems have talked about spending on alternative Energy and a constructive short and long term energy plan compared to McCain and Republicans. McCain's telling us what we want to hear but has not intention of making the wide swept changes needed to make a difference. We can drill baby drill all we want but we are still and will still be dependent on the oil companies and, well, they are not doing what is in our best interests and never will. so drilling, in my opinion will ultimately show diminishing returns financially for you and for me. Many of my republican friends told me gas would have been 3.00 a gallon if Gore had been elected. (
hmm.png
), well it would have been because we need to be dragged kicking and screaming towards changing our energy use habits, but it would have been a constructive 3.00 a gallon as oppossed to what we have now. Can we be proactive just once folks, just once. In related (or unrelated) territory, Clinton got lambasted for displaying, allowing and furthering the free, anything goes style that "caused" the dot com crisis if you were to take republicans word for it. Guess those same republicans are blaming Bush and themselves for the banking fiasco. McCain the savior of us all started his trustworthy, honerable service to us by becoming one of the Keating 5 (don't debate his role- he was involved and did not have the fortitude and honor to do what was right and say no). So why would it suprise anyone that his son was involved in mismanagement of a bank in recent times. BUT alas, don't worry he has changed, learned his lesson and is now reaching across the isle in our best interest, and Obama scares some of you, makes me wonder. Keystonepaul​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom