Bielefelder....not?

khpadventures

Songster
May 26, 2020
Hello All!

So, I got hatching eggs from Omega Hills Farms last year, and I was able to hatch out 4 hens and two roosters. My intention is to start a small breeding flock...but one of my hens turned out...odd colored. Now, I know not to breed her obviously, but I am now worried about how closely or not she is related to the normal colored hens....should I not breed them either because their flock produced her? Is it common in Bielefelder flocks to have off color hens pop up? Do you guys think maybe another rooster somehow had a little rendezvous with her mom in order to produce her? Any thoughts appreciated.

I attached pictures below, one of the regular colored hens, and one of her. I call her Ginger. As she is a bit too much of a red head for the breed....and of course she is broody in these photos.

Attachments

• 20210602_112134.jpg
    20210602_112134.jpg
    831.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 20210602_112328.jpg
    20210602_112328.jpg
    563.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 20210602_112344.jpg
    20210602_112344.jpg
    541.2 KB · Views: 32
Hello All!

So, I got hatching eggs from Omega Hills Farms last year, and I was able to hatch out 4 hens and two roosters. My intention is to start a small breeding flock...but one of my hens turned out...odd colored. Now, I know not to breed her obviously, but I am now worried about how closely or not she is related to the normal colored hens....should I not breed them either because their flock produced her? Is it common in Bielefelder flocks to have off color hens pop up? Do you guys think maybe another rooster somehow had a little rendezvous with her mom in order to produce her? Any thoughts appreciated.

I attached pictures below, one of the regular colored hens, and one of her. I call her Ginger. As she is a bit too much of a red head for the breed....and of course she is broody in these photos.
that's interesting .... I hatched one cockerel from the same producer, and he's got no barring at all. He's red, with darker red and some grey in his tail. The two pullets I hatched look like bielefelder

Back
Top Bottom