Bielefelder Owners: At What Age Did Your Hen(s) Start Laying?

Chicken_Legend

Chirping
Oct 12, 2020
My 2 hens are at least 7 and 8 months old. They free range in my yard. I went to go look around to see if they laid any eggs and could not find any which begs the question, at what age do they start laying? The breeder I bought it from told me 6 months. These are large breeds and from what I read, it takes about 10 months? Not sure which info is true.

Do they ever disappear during the day? They could be hiding some in deep foliage..
I don’t own Bielefelders, but they are awesome. I love the barring. Also..
Are they your only birds? You really need three or more to make a flock.
(if you have city laws, I get it.)

Do they ever disappear during the day? They could be hiding some in deep foliage..
I don’t own Bielefelders, but they are awesome. I love the barring. Also..
Are they your only birds? You really need three or more to make a flock.
(if you have city laws, I get it.)

My yard barely has any foliage. Yes I only have 2 but been searching for adult Bielefelders for at least 2 weeks now.

My biels started laying at about 7 months old. I love them, and now they are laying nice big eggs for me. I've got 22 eggs in an incubator right now!!! Hopefully yours will start laying soon.

I was also told 8-10 months, but was happily surprised when they started at 7.

While that is nice, I would suggest to feed them at least 18-20% protein like an all flock raiser.
dual purpose chickens do better with higher percentage of protein.
Do you have any suggestions for the food? Grubbies does not have any food with that high of protein.

My biels started laying at about 7 months old. I love them, and now they are laying nice big eggs for me. I've got 22 eggs in an incubator right now!!! Hopefully yours will start laying soon.

I was also told 8-10 months, but was happily surprised when they started at 7.
That's very good to hear! If you have any adults you want to get rid of, send them my way :p

Back
Top Bottom