Bielefelder thread!!!!

Pics
No, and it wouldn't be until next spring if I do. (Sigh.)

I did mention to DH about adding onto the coop. That idea was met with a less than enthusiastic response. Just sowing the seed of the idea, though. See it it takes root...
I hope that it does.

I want to order some more of those Bielefelder hatching egg's, but they are out of Chicago so it's probably too cold to think about that now.

If I got a broody, I'd consider getting eggs, but I'd have to find someone who would sell me just 3-4. Unless we add onto the coop, I don't have room for more than that.
It sound's like you need to find someone that lives very close to you that does have the Bielefelder's then. They at least are sexable at hatch, so you will know who the boy's or girl's are.

We weighed the Biels again today! Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get out there at the 20 week mark, so they are 21 weeks and 3 days old. Also, we had to suddenly switch to a different type of feed, changed feeding methods since the last weigh-in, and had some single digit temperatures for a bit, all of which likely resulted in some lost potential weight gain while they adjusted. (Our layers dropped production sharply for a couple weeks & are still climbing back to their pre-change normal, so the Beils probably stopped gaining during the same time period.) Without further ado, the numbers...

#Bielefelders
21.5 weeks

Cockerels
Range: 5.25-6.3 lbs.
Average: 5.74 lbs.

Pullets
Range: 3.3-5.0 lbs.
Average: 4.04 lbs.

We weighed the Biels again today! Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get out there at the 20 week mark, so they are 21 weeks and 3 days old. Also, we had to suddenly switch to a different type of feed, changed feeding methods since the last weigh-in, and had some single digit temperatures for a bit, all of which likely resulted in some lost potential weight gain while they adjusted. (Our layers dropped production sharply for a couple weeks & are still climbing back to their pre-change normal, so the Beils probably stopped gaining during the same time period.) Without further ado, the numbers...

#Bielefelders
21.5 weeks

Cockerels
Range: 5.25-6.3 lbs.
Average: 5.74 lbs.

Pullets
Range: 3.3-5.0 lbs.
Average: 4.04 lbs.
Thanks' for sharing that info! Can you let us know at what age that the pullet's will start laying those first egg's when they do?

Uh... how have I not found this thread before?!

Incoming pic dump of my beloved boy, Oppenheimer <3

Mystery chick from Murray, hatch date ~ 07/29/2020...
1643071990830.jpeg

Awkward teenage phase -- the surprise flash didn't help, 4-5 weeks old...
1643072064767.jpeg

A little bit more grown at 3.5 months, note the eye color change from baby blue!
1643072239583.png

6 months, and yes he gets handled a LOT and carried inside. I think he's watching TV in this pic.
1643072304471.png

9 months, and hangs out in the shopping cart when we are in PetSmart. :)
1643072395502.png

11 months. POOF! Spurs have come in. His temperament is still excellent.
1643072453822.png

A year old, and looking INTENSE.
1643072523221.png

Wishing you all a (belated) merry Christmas!
1643072626822.png

And, at 18 months, putting up with being a mount for a Serama buddy. He just really wants to go back outside to his ladies. At this age, he weights 8.5 pounds.
1643072709474.png

I also have two hens that just started laying a bit at 7 months. In the spring, I will be incubating some of their eggs, and also picking up a set of hatching eggs from Vitoria Farms to get a good little Bielefelder flock going. :) I've loved seeing all your stories!

Uh... how have I not found this thread before?!

Incoming pic dump of my beloved boy, Oppenheimer <3

Mystery chick from Murray, hatch date ~ 07/29/2020...
View attachment 2971500

Awkward teenage phase -- the surprise flash didn't help, 4-5 weeks old...
View attachment 2971503

A little bit more grown at 3.5 months, note the eye color change from baby blue!
View attachment 2971514

6 months, and yes he gets handled a LOT and carried inside. I think he's watching TV in this pic.
View attachment 2971517

9 months, and hangs out in the shopping cart when we are in PetSmart. :)
View attachment 2971519

11 months. POOF! Spurs have come in. His temperament is still excellent.
View attachment 2971522

A year old, and looking INTENSE.
View attachment 2971524

Wishing you all a (belated) merry Christmas!
View attachment 2971525

And, at 18 months, putting up with being a mount for a Serama buddy. He just really wants to go back outside to his ladies. At this age, he weights 8.5 pounds.
View attachment 2971526

I also have two hens that just started laying a bit at 7 months. In the spring, I will be incubating some of their eggs, and also picking up a set of hatching eggs from Vitoria Farms to get a good little Bielefelder flock going. :) I've loved seeing all your stories!
Good that you are here, and have found this thread! Good luck with your plan's to breed these! That is my plan also.

I have also been considering adding bielefelders. How are they as far as predator awareness and free-ranging / foraging? They seem to have good coloration for survival, but I have neighbors who have lost chickens to hawks and I would like to avoid that. My current flock is in a run with aviary netting over it and they have survived since last spring. If I add to my flock, I don't know how much I can enlarge the run, and I would like to free range more anyway.
Everyone talks about how docile and friendly they are which makes me wonder if they are also alert, or more like naive and unreasonably friendly to everything including predators
Does anyone have any relevant experience to share?

And also, I'm in Western Pennsylvania a bit east of Pittsburgh. Does anyone know anyone who breeds them in this area(Ohio, Pa, Wv)?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom