Bielefelder thread!!!!

Pics
Well, Meyer is sold out. :(

Looking at Mt. Healthy.

Thanks for the suggestions!
At Mt Healthy 10 birds is $15 shipping. Bielefelders are a bit more expensive (no matter where they are from), but they have some cool color choices and pretty good selection of breeds at the $6 mark.

Hopefully your neighbor finds a few breeds she likes!

I can't recommend a hatchery to you, because I bought mine as hatching egg's. If you lived close to me I could help with the Biel's as I will be hatching from my flock this year. None of mine will be mixed breed's as all that I have here is the Bielefelder's.
Are you NPIP, so you can ship eggs interstate? I'm not interested this year, but perhaps in a year or two I would be.

Ok, I AM interested, but I gotta be realistic. :)

Are you NPIP, so you can ship eggs interstate? I'm not interested this year, but perhaps in a year or two I would be.

Ok, I AM interested, but I gotta be realistic. :)
No, I'm not, so I guess I will only be able to sell any locally for now. I might check into that NPIP stuff later. Some of the hatching egg's that I got of these before is closer to you though, so they wouldn't have to travel as far. I bought those off of ebay from a seller there that goes by skywalker and he lives over by Chicago. I would have picked the egg's closest to me, but nobody close had any (besides having mixed breed flock's). I wanted the pure one's.

I would order them asap because they might run into problems later in the hatching season with availability, shipping or disease outbreaks. I just now looked at Murray McMurray (which I used in 2020 to restart my flocks) and they have female Beilefelder chicks available this month and then waning later (maybe this is just because it is harder to predict further out, or pre-orders, logistics, etc.).

I believe you can order and specify a delivery date that they will try thier best to meet. meaning you could order now for late this month or later in season so you would be on thier schedule. Make sure you specify you will or will not accept substitutions if you order specific breeds.

Last edited:
According to your picture's there, the LCN's have smaller comb's then the Biel's. They also seem to have thicker leg's on them?
Yes!! LCN have very thick, pink-white legs and chunky squatty toes! Frankenfoot !!
My LCN hens combs are a bit larger than biels of the same age; must be the angle of the pic. my oldest LCN hen has frostbite on all tips but biels are spared.
One that carries Biels! :gig

We haven't discussed that yet. I've looked at Cackle and Murray Mc Murray. My neighbor hasn't said what breeds she's interested in, or where she's looked online.

Any recommendations? I know she won't be interested in the high end hatcheries, like Greenfire. That would be beyond her price range.
Mine came from McMurrays. I was happy with them. Not sure if they mark them but go to their website and email an inquiry. They have great customer service!

I would order them asap because they might run into problems later in the hatching season with availability, shipping or disease outbreaks. I just now looked at Murray McMurray (which I used in 2020 to restart my flocks) and they have female Beilefelder chicks available this month and then waning later (maybe this is just because it is harder to predict further out, or pre-orders, logistics, etc.).

I believe you can order and specify a delivery date that they will try thier best to meet. meaning you could order now for late this month or later in season so you would be on thier schedule. Make sure you specify you will or will not accept substitutions if you order specific breeds.
x2 on preordering. Bielefelder is a hot breed right now.
@Sally PB they should do OK by mail anytime in March in your region. The biels are pretty hardy chicks. I am so excited for you to get them!!

Some are warning of high egg layer prices now or coming soon. Maybe sensationalizing for views, who knows. But I don't doubt that one might sell POL pullets for very high prices considering feed and egg prices now. I'm going to do the math on input costs before I sell anything. Goodwill or barter between neighbors might be more valuable, IDK.

@CaroleW Maybe you could share a recent picture of the NN/Bielefelder mixed one to show @Iluveggers to see what he look's like now?
Look at this hansom guy! NN/Bielefelder (NN mom in the foreground...lol... and NN/Bf sister behind him - sister is NN/Bf without a NN showing)
IMG_20230118_165436124_HDR.jpg

Back
Top Bottom