Bielefelder thread!!!!

Pics
I know, right? 😂
I am so happy to be able to tell the difference of the sex at hatch. It makes things so much easier to know right off the bat what I have without having to grow them out to see. If I sell any of the chicks, they can be sold faster even to those that cannot have a rooster.

Last edited:
Ok, group pic with all 6 of them:

Feb 2023 chicks in brooder.jpg

I am so happy to be able to tell the difference of the sex at hatch. It makes things so much easier to know right off the bat what I have without having to grow them out to see. If I sell any of the chicks, they can be sold faster even to those that cannot have a rooster.
What is the give away trait that shows the difference between their sexes?

What is the give away trait that shows the difference between their sexes?
The pullets have the darker chipmunk look on the backs and the "v" on the head. The cockerels are lighter in color (sort of a bleached out look compared to the pullets) and no "v" marking on the head. You will only be able to know in the future breeding by breeding a Bielefelder to another Bielefelder, but not if you crossbreed them with another breed of chicken.

Someone wanted sexed chicks, and the only autosexing or sex linked cross I have is bielefelders, so I also have an incubator full of bielefelder eggs. I'll keep any extra pullets for my flock, and eat the cockerels in a couple months.
How long does it take to get a cockerel to processing weight?

Back
Top Bottom