Big area of skin taken off.. is there anything else I can do for her??

ladybug99

Songster
9 Years
Aug 10, 2010
Monroe New Jersey
1) What type of bird , age and weight. She is a Welsummer about 11 moths old.. she weighs around 5 pounds give or take
2) What is the behavior, exactly. FOr the past two weeks I thought she was broody... she was sitting in the nesting box ..tonight she was on the roost barely hanging on, very lethargic,shocky and panting
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? I just found her last evening, but by the looks of the wound may be a week or so
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? none
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. Under her wing looks like an area of about 2 inches by 3 inches where her skin has been ripped off.. skin is hanging off, she is bleeding a small bit as SHE keeps pecking at it, but the area is clean and not infected
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. I am asuming the rooster did it when mounting her.. she is going thru a partial molt and is missing feathers all along her back and on the tops of her wings
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all: I am assuming she hasn't eaten in a day or so, haven't really seen her off the nest, ate really well last evening, scrambled eggs,yorgert and some mashed up grain
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. She has big huge broody poop... very large and stinky
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? I just had back surgery.. so my movements are limited, I have seperated from the flock, fed her some high protein foods, given her some water, cleaned up the wound a bit, applied neosporin ( but she keeps pecking it off)
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I think she has been stablized, I found her just in time, I intend to get a small dog cage and put it in the coop so she can remain with but seperated from the flock.. she is in the house next to the baby chicks so she will not be lonely today
smile.png
Since I have limited movement my self I hope to keep the wound clean and dry for now, keep her fed properly, add some antibiotics to her water, and feed her some high protien treats. When my back is a bit better I will cut off the area of dead skin. I did order a few saddles and will put one on her and hope this prevents any futher injury

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. Sorry none this morning.. I can't seem to hold her and get a good shot....maybe later today If some one comes along and helps to hold her for me
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use; I have an enclosed run and coop with sand floors; she has 12 other chicken mates.. they are a pretty docile group. she is curently in a large rubbermaid container with wood chips but I plan to put her back in the coop this evening in an enclosed dog cage

She is doing a bit better this morning, she is awake and looking around, but still pecking at the wound. The wound itself has a dark ring around the outside and the center is clean and has a clean membrane on it. it is completely covered by her wing. I don't know if it is at the stage where it is itiching her but I can't seem to keep the neosporin on it as she keeps pecking it off. I almost wonder if the neosporin is irratating her. It looks as if it is healing. I think once I get the saddles on the wound will be covered and able to heal. I think what got her into this position is that she hasn't eaten in a few days and has gotton weak.

I am fairly new to this and know chickens are very good healers but is there anything I can do to help her along any better. I have limited access to antibiotics, they sell mostly antibiotics for livestockin my feed store.. is there any particular kind I should look for???

Thanks for your help

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom