1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

"BIG BERTHA" OR "BIG BIRD" (pic)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by momoftwinsinwi, Jun 20, 2007.

1. momoftwinsinwi

momoftwinsinwi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    Rochester, WI
    Our 16 chicks are doing awesome and are just over 3 wks old, we should have the coop moved to where we plan to keep them and (fingers crossed) should have the run and everything complete by Friday -my twins & hubby don't have to work on Friday, I know if they keep at it, it can get done, it's the initial "get up and go" that I need to try to get them to....a size 7.5 should do it LOL!!! Anyway, all birds are healthy but are ready to move from their pool (w/chicken wire around it) to their new home. I have one "pullet?" that is twice as big as the other chicks, "her" feet are obnoxiously huge compared to the others but "she" really seems to be the friendliest....the others "spaz" when I reach in to feed or water but "she" just stands there like.....OH YEAH MORE FOOD!!! LOL......everything seems to be twice as big, so I named her Big Bertha, but then thought maybe they made 1 mistake and "she's" a roo??? I told my 6 yr old stepdaughter, if "she's" a boy, we'll have to call him BIG BIRD, can't have a boy named Bertha!! we all had a chuckle!! it's the only one I've named because I can't tell any of the others apart, 8 RIR and 8 CA whites....BIG BERTHA/BIRD is one of the CA whites -here's a pic

[​IMG]

2. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Gosh, that looks familiar!!! We got a bunch of day-old chicks last year and one of them was much bigger than the others - just like yours. He turned out to be a beautiful roo!!!! The funny thing was, we couldn't figure out how he could have possibly fit inside an egg!!!!!

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I hope it's not a Cornish cross that fell into the bin on accident. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by