1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Big Bird : Small Eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sebright18, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Sebright18

Sebright18 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2012
    My Dorking is sat under 12 bantam eggs, in the middle are tiny bantam eggs and around them are medium bantam eggs. She has already cracked a small bantam egg even though it is in the middle and I am really worried if those 5 eggs get cracked, Its important to me that they dont. What shall i do?!

Many Thanks

2. RhodeRunner

RhodeRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    In my experience heavy (5+pounds) large fowl tend to trample bantam eggs, and chicks. If one is already broken, don't be surprised if it happens to even more of them. And there is nothing like a rotten cracked egg to ruin a hatch! If these eggs are important to you, move them under a smaller hen, or put them in an incubator.
    Otherwise, you are just going to have to take the risk if you leave these eggs under her. Making a more secure nest may help. You can do this by making a bowl out of straw, and keeping it smaller so all the eggs stay in place. Also, creating a nest where the hen can't jump onto the eggs should also help prevent her from breaking them.
    If the chicks do hatch, you may want to consider brooding them yourself.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by