Big birds as a hawk deterrent?

Some people hear suggest big black hens. They look like ravens to haeks, so they'll leave them alone
I have all sorts of color chickens in my flock including black ones and they still have attacked multiple times. They don’t seem to go for the black ones themselves (maybe because they’re also much bigger than the other birds ??) but they don’t deter them from attacking the others, at least in my experience.

Humans also don’t seem to deter ours because I’ve had them swoop down or sit in a tree even if we were outside. Although I am somewhat interested to try the sweatshirt/scarecrow thing just in case.

I have lost a few birds to a Cooper’s even with a very large rooster. Turkey Toms as well. The hawks also attack the black hens as much as the other colors. I would have to say larger roosters, guineas and turkeys don’t deter hawks/eagles. Only from personal experience.

So far (fingers crossed) haven’t lost a single bird since introducing the 2 emus. They grew up with the chickens and have been a great raptor deterrent. They don’t like fast (attacking) motions and will come over and stomp on whatever is making those said movements. Spring and summer is when the raptors come around our property, so next spring will be the big test.

Back
Top Bottom