Big bloody rip in comb!

thewhyblockl

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 23, 2011
My BR rooster has a big bloody rip in his comb after somehow getting it stuck in the chicken wire and ripping free (though we didn't witness this, we found a spot on the wire with some blood on it). It is a rip at the back of the comb from the base of his head up towards the tips where it is hanging on by a 1/2 to 1/4 inch strip of comb. He has blood on the side of his face and head. Should I wash and disinfect it and take him to a vet, or should it be possible to tape of stitch him myself...or cut the flap off? Do torn combs infect easily? Would he be ok if a piece was missing? Would it hurt him badly if I removed the flap of damaged comb?
sad.png

If it's hanging on by a small piece of tissue I'd probably cut it off. I feel it would probably hurt a lot less than trying to get it to heal back on. It won't grow back, though. He'll do fine without it. Trying to stitch it up I believe would cause more pain, and I think you'd be more likely to end up with an infection. You might even have to remove that part of the comb in the end, anyway, if you tried this.

Are you aware that game chickens are dubbed for showing, which means cutting their comb off? People do this all the time without causing the bird any long term problem. Not that I'm suggesting you do this routinely, of course -- but you might be more comfortable about dealing with his injury if you read up on dubbing a little. I'm sure he will be fine with a little first aid and some attention to the wound.

You didn't mention separating him, though you may have done this. Just in case not, it's usually necessary to keep the others from pecking a bloody wound, which they certainly will. Also, best to keep him indoors while healing to prevent flies from laying eggs in the wound -- which will hatch into maggots.

Good luck, and I'm sure you will both do fine. Chickens heal well.

Thanks! Between the advice in your post and a bit of digging into the BYC archives I got a bit better informed and Xerox and I both came out of it ok. It was a biggish flap, about the size of the first digit of my thumb. A friend held Xerox and petted him while I applied antiseptic, removed the flap, and dabbed on antibiotic cream. Forget that I felt like I was going to pass out while I did it. Poor guy.

If i'm right though, in certain places its "illegal" to dub the comb yourself. Same thing for docking dog's tails and ears. When you talk about how much is left, how big is the rip in proportion?

I didn't dub the comb myself. I dislike the idea of harming animals to groom them to a particular look. I simply cut off the above mentioned flap of ripped comb which was dangling awkwardly and probably painfully from the top points of his comb. It was about the length and width of an average female human thumb digit. It worked just fine, the drama is over and the roo doesn't seem to be terribly frightened by my presence, so I assume he isn't awfully traumatized by the event. Both Xerox and I thank you for your thoughtfulness and useful advice.

No problem. I know where i live, the ones with smaller combs do better (winter). At least now that its gone you won't have to worry about it getting damaged again! : )

Back
Top Bottom