Big Blue Roo Taken Down a Notch (funny story)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by speckledhen, Oct 10, 2007.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude

We only recently found out that Ruby has a softer side to her, not that she'd want anyone to know it. She likes to have her comb rubbed and will hold very still and close her eyes. If DH is holding another chicken, Ruby will come up and peck at his pants will he puts that one down and picks her up, but she still growls and acts annoyed... till he rubs her comb. She'll relax against his chest, but when he goes to put her down, she hunches up and growls like, "I hated it the whole time!". What a hoot she is! And now, I have this image of Suede running for his life away from her...Too funny!

2. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Hysterical Cyn.
    Welcome back Helmstead...long time no see.

3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Those RIR girls can be so entertaining! [​IMG]
    I didn't get to see much of Ruby as she was busy in the nesting box, but I did get to hear her growl.

Agatha is queen of my flock. She'll follow me around, sit in my lap to be spoiled on and loves riding on my shoulder.

She's normally very even tempered, but sometimes she gets in a mood, and all my roo's stay away from her [​IMG] She'll chase them around the run if they so much as look at her wrong, thank goodness she doesn't stay in those moods long!

Scarlett will follow me around too, as long as Agatha isn't following me.

I've heard that RIR roo's are notorious for being mean, but if you saw mine you wouldn't think so.
    He's a big boy too, about 28" tall. He absolutely loves Scarlett [​IMG]

This spring I intend to breed Red and Scarlett, hoping to get some very even tempered babies. [​IMG]

Red & Scarlett
    [​IMG]

Agatha
    [​IMG]

4. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Great story!

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude

Lee, I'm so glad you love my Scarlett! I knew she, Iris and Hazel went to a good home. I can't wait to see those beautiful dark RIR babies of theirs in the spring.

6. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Me either, and we love hazel and Iris just as much. Hazel is a real character.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: