Big broody Judy

Gerty0630

Songster
Jan 15, 2019
SE, Michigan
I am new to chickens this year and just when I think I’ve got the hang of everything one of my olive eggers decides to go broody. I don’t have any roosters nor do I plan to have any roosters. So my questions is what, if any, harm is there just letting her sit on the eggs? She switches between two nesting boxes so I am able to collect the eggs daily pretty much still. I assume she gets up and eats and drinks when she needs to?

Not necessarily. A broody will lose about 20% of her body weight sitting on the eggs for 3 weeks or more. You should break her of this sooner rather than later. There are many methods discussed in this forum. I have one hen who periodically goes broody and I just keep taking her off the nest and putting her out in the run with food and water. It takes a few days, but has always worked for me.

Not necessarily. A broody will lose about 20% of her body weight sitting on the eggs for 3 weeks or more. You should break her of this sooner rather than later. There are many methods discussed in this forum. I have one hen who periodically goes broody and I just keep taking her off the nest and putting her out in the run with food and water. It takes a few days, but has always worked for me.
Good to know thank you! She’s been steady on the nests for the past 3 days. I just went and took her out and now she’s eating :clap but certainly was not happy about it haha

Back
Top Bottom